Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Betta Problem (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/betta-problem-10220/)

Cody 12-22-2007 08:08 PM

Betta Problem

My betta is not being very active, and he is not eating. I am starting to get a little worried about him.

I noticed the water was cold in his bowl, so that may be the problem.

But, I have some questions.

So, I have a 5Gallon tank. I heard that you can house bettas with different fish, all of which I have are compatible with bettas.

Should I see how Baron (betta) acts when I just float him on the surface of the tank water?

Can they eat Tropical Fish Flakes as well?

Lupin 12-22-2007 08:48 PM

Re: Betta Problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody
My betta is not being very active, and he is not eating. I am starting to get a little worried about him.

How cold is it? The temp should not fall below 76 degrees Fahrenheit.
Quote:

So, I have a 5Gallon tank. I heard that you can house bettas with different fish, all of which I have are compatible with bettas.
5g is too small to allow any more fish. Stick with only one betta.
Quote:

Should I see how Baron (betta) acts when I just float him on the surface of the tank water?
What are your water parameters? Can you please explain what you mean by this?
Quote:

Yes.

Cody 12-22-2007 09:06 PM

Re: Betta Problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody

How cold is it? The temp should not fall below 76 degrees Fahrenheit.
Quote:

5g is too small to allow any more fish. Stick with only one betta.
Quote:

What are your water parameters? Can you please explain what you mean by this?
Quote:

Yes.

What I mean by the "float on top", I mean put him in a...bag I guess (like something they would give you at a petstore), so he can get adjusted to the water temp.

I have had him swimming aroundthe tank for the past couple of minutes, and all is good so far. I might take my 2 platies out, and put them in my other 23 Gallon tank.

Falina 12-22-2007 09:29 PM

Is there enough room to move all your fish from the 5g to the 26g? If so I would do that, and then use the 5g for your betta alone. 5g is really the minimum tank size for a betta on it own.

Lupin has already aked but I see that you didn't answer: just how cold is the water/ bettas are tropical fih and really need a temp in the high 70s. Thi could well be the root of your problem. He also asked about your water parameters? Post results for amonia, nitrite and nitrate please as these are very important to know. :)

Cody 12-23-2007 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falina
Is there enough room to move all your fish from the 5g to the 26g? If so I would do that, and then use the 5g for your betta alone. 5g is really the minimum tank size for a betta on it own.

Lupin has already aked but I see that you didn't answer: just how cold is the water/ bettas are tropical fih and really need a temp in the high 70s. Thi could well be the root of your problem. He also asked about your water parameters? Post results for amonia, nitrite and nitrate please as these are very important to know. :)

The thing is, Baron's old tank was a small, 1-Gal bowl. I moved him out, and he is doing very well in my 5Gal.

The tank now may be a little over-crowded, but none of the fish seem to mind. They all are acting the same way before Iadded Baron.