Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   another suicide :( (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/another-suicide-102174/)

Chris7 05-22-2012 03:48 AM

another suicide :(

Yesterday I found anouther swordtail dead on the floor, the second one in about a month? they are jumping out of the tank at the back where the little gap is. I tryed using screen mesh after the first one jumped, but after a little time it keeps falling in to the tank. I thought of trying cardboard but that would just get wet from the humidity, any one have any ideas or have had this problem and what did you use to cover the gap up with?

eug 05-22-2012 04:00 AM

Maybe lowering the water level is also an idea.

eug 05-22-2012 04:59 AM

and sorry for your loss. :(

Romad 05-22-2012 05:58 AM

After 3 of my fish managed to get through impossibly small openings, I covered any open spaces with aluminum foil. It doesn't look too attractive but I haven't lost another fish since then.

It's crazy what they can project themselves through.

AbbeysDad 05-22-2012 08:40 AM

How about taking that piece of cardboard and wrapping it in plastic wrap (or foil)?

1077 05-22-2012 08:54 AM

Some glass tops that you can purchase, come with plastic strip that can be notched out for intake hoses ,heater cord's ,HOB filter's etc. I have such plastic strip's on one tank and it would be very difficult foe even small fish to leave the tank and more importantly,,my shrimps.
Window screen can also work well but will diffuse some light so if the tank is planted,,,then this may not be desireable.

Tazman 05-22-2012 09:28 AM

Another thing to consider is why is the fish jumping out in the first place. Is it just curious or is something causing it to be spooked and scaring it to jumping?

Tightly placed cling film is both nearly invisible but also strong enough to stop smaller fish from jumping out the hole.

1077 05-22-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1091145)
Another thing to consider is why is the fish jumping out in the first place. Is it just curious or is something causing it to be spooked and scaring it to jumping?

Tightly placed cling film is both nearly invisible but also strong enough to stop smaller fish from jumping out the hole.

Swordtail's are notorious Jumper's with few peer's IME.
Most often it is temp related. These fish prefer cool water, with moderate movement.
76 degrees F is about as warm as they like it .8-)

kitten_penang 05-22-2012 10:30 AM

wanna try a new trick? we use them in planted tank and they seem to work well.put a triangular ruler at the side corner of the tank where they usually jump out of.some how they wont jump and it looks a lot better the covering the whole surface area and trapping heat in.

Chris7 05-22-2012 09:30 PM

I tryed something a little different, I got a piece of plexiglass that is the right size and drilled some very small holes in it(1/32") ! Hope this works:-?!