Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   What would you add? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/what-would-you-add-102171/)

Boredomb 05-22-2012 01:41 AM

What would you add?

4 Attachment(s)
Here is a 10 gallon I am trying to get setup for some RCS.
Attachment 55609
Full tank shot here. Any suggestion with the hardscape? I actually like it this way but am up to any suggestion to better it.
Attachment 55610
Here you can see the wood and rocks holding it down because they are not water logged yet. Also can see my small cryptocoryne wendtii "red"
Attachment 55611
The other side you can see my one lonely Dwarf Sagittaria (am hoping this will take off and cover the front area) and a dwarf sword of some kind. Forgot the name of it. I also just realized I planted it on an angle so am going to fix that in the morning.
Attachment 55612
Here is some pennywort. I am thinking of using something else for a floating plant in this tank instead. Maybe something like Water sprite?
Also am looking for any suggestion on what else to add plant wise? Was thinking of putting some Java moss on the front log? Also was thinking of adding an Anubias on the log in the back left corner?

Geomancer 05-22-2012 06:46 AM

Java Moss is very good for RCS, you'll soon get hundreds of the things as it makes a perfect breeding ground.

Water Sprite might get too big for a 10 gallon, their root network hangs down pretty far. But it's very prolific, so might work if you pluck off the baby plants and ditch the big ones.

1077 05-22-2012 07:02 AM

Maybe a filter?
Agree with Java moss.

Boredomb 05-22-2012 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 1091118)
Maybe a filter?
Agree with Java moss.

There is a sponge filter in there behind the heater which is behind the dwarf sword. Attachment 55624
I really don't like this filter as it is too noisy but not sure what else to use on a 10 gallon with shrimp?

Was thinking that water sprite might be to big as well. I might just go without as the light on this tank is pretty dim as it is.

Boredomb 05-22-2012 10:12 AM

What about Dwarf water lettuce?

1077 05-22-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1091218)
There is a sponge filter in there behind the heater which is behind the dwarf sword. Attachment 55624
I really don't like this filter as it is too noisy but not sure what else to use on a 10 gallon with shrimp?

Was thinking that water sprite might be to big as well. I might just go without as the light on this tank is pretty dim as it is.

Oh,, I see the filter now:oops:

Byron 05-22-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1091222)
What about Dwarf water lettuce?

Yes, floating is good (of course). Pygmy chain sword and/or the slightly larger chain sword for the substrate.

Boredomb 05-22-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1091321)
Yes, floating is good (of course). Pygmy chain sword and/or the slightly larger chain sword for the substrate.

I have one Dwarf Sagittaria in the front right that hopefully will cover the substrate.
Am trying to figure out what to use for a floating plant. I do have that one stem of pennywort in there for now.