Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Vortex of Mean: Tigers & Skunks (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/vortex-mean-tigers-skunks-10208/)

tophat665 12-22-2007 12:57 PM

Vortex of Mean: Tigers & Skunks

OK, this is probably a really stupid idea, but I want a second large tank to balance out my Living room, so I am pondering getting a 75 or 90 and focusing it around a very large (20-30) school of tiger barbs.

Now, I have always thought that, if there were anything that would work with skunk loaches, it would be a largish school of tiger barbs and a fair sized group of skunks (7-12).

So, the initial plan is for 25 tiger barbs and 9 skunk loaches in a 75. (Laid out in red shale set up as mesas over a tan sand bottom, with Sword plants in pots of gravel along the back and crypts in the midground. Maybe some long driftwoods with Java ferns around the ends. Thinking of putting some model Deathrace 2000 cars in as the centerpiece - built with aquarium safe epoxy of course. I'd try to arrange the filter to give a left to right current, maybe add a powerhead.)

Is there any other critters that might survive and thrive in the vortex of mean? Would a breeding pair of convicts hold their own or butcher everything else? Firemouths?

Howzabout a pair of golden chinese algae eaters?

SeaSerpant 12-22-2007 02:58 PM

i havn't seen any kind of fish attack algea eaters. i would get one and see if it gets hurt or not. if so i would move it to your other tank :D

Lupin 12-22-2007 08:17 PM

CAE's would really try to battle it out with skunk loaches whose aggression level is rated to the highest point (okay, 5 in 1-5 rating scale.:roll: ). Your tank is large enough so both should be fine but I would expect both to continuously squabble.

P.S. I thought the "tigers" you meant are Syncrossus loaches which I would have been more interested to look forward to updates on.:frustrated:

Falina 12-22-2007 08:41 PM

I'm not talking from experience here, so don't take this too much to heart, but while I was researching convicts a while back as I was considering getting them, I read on more than one source that if they spawn they are capable of basically ripping up anything regardless of size. Mean as the loaches and barbs are, I personally don't think I would want to try it.

By the way, even with just the loaches and barbs, with the plants and decor you've mentioned, I think it sounds like a beautiful tank. :)

herefishy 12-22-2007 10:21 PM

If you are talking mean, your choices are minor league compared to a school of these... http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...ei=UTF-8&src=p

tophat665 12-23-2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
CAE's would really try to battle it out with skunk loaches whose aggression level is rated to the highest point (okay, 5 in 1-5 rating scale.:roll: ). Your tank is large enough so both should be fine but I would expect both to continuously squabble.

P.S. I thought the "tigers" you meant are Syncrossus loaches which I would have been more interested to look forward to updates on.:frustrated:

On the Skunks vs CAEs - I figured there would be significant squabbleation. The reason for the Mesas is that they would be full of caves, so there ought to be many, many hiding places in various sizes. If it turned out to be too much, well, I could always return the CAEs (or euthanize), but I was kind of thinking it would be neat to have some bigger fish in the tank.

On the syncrossus, as beautiful as they are, if I were going to get a tank big enough to house them, I'd be thinking about clowns or arowana.

Quote:

Originally Posted by falina
I'm not talking from experience here, so don't take this too much to heart, but while I was researching convicts a while back as I was considering getting them, I read on more than one source that if they spawn they are capable of basically ripping up anything regardless of size. Mean as the loaches and barbs are, I personally don't think I would want to try it.

By the way, even with just the loaches and barbs, with the plants and decor you've mentioned, I think it sounds like a beautiful tank. Smile

Love the new avatar. Beautifully grungy.

I was thinking of getting convicts to provide fry as live food for Leopard Ctenos and Bichirs as a supplement to the swordtails I'll be putting in that tank. Once the Corys and Plecos are out of the grow out, I am going to put a half dozen Juvi Convicts in there and let pair up, find the best pair, and return the rest. That's the plan. I was hoping that I might be able to free up that tank (a 20) for additional broods of other critters, which was why I was thinking Convicts in the Skunk and Tiger Tank (that and keeping with the striped theme.)

I am definitely leaning toward just the Loaches and Barbs at this point (This is at least a year out, BTW). Thanks for the kind words on the design. That's always my favorite part, and the biggest cause of my MTS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by herefishy
If you are talking mean, your choices are minor league compared to a school of these...(link to pic of Hydrocynus vittatus or young H. goliath)

Hmm, do you think I could get those with friggin' laser beams in their heads? Yeah, I don't really have the werewithal to house and care for a school of 30" fish, and my inclination toward design tends to lead me away from larger open-water critters. I mean, Tigerfish want, what, a 300 gallon aquarium with a good current, a quarter inch of gravel, and nothing else. Not my style.