Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Odd and Strange Fish to get (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/odd-strange-fish-get-101979/)

jfengler 05-20-2012 02:31 AM

Odd and Strange Fish to get

I bought a tank and set it up and all and im looking at filling it with strange and odd looking fish, any suggestions

jaysee 05-20-2012 05:51 AM

That would depend entirely on the size of the tank you got....

jfengler 05-20-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1088200)
That would depend entirely on the size of the tank you got....

size isnt a problem its a 2 ft tank but i want something up to 6 inch

Byron 05-20-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfengler (Post 1088212)
size isnt a problem its a 2 ft tank but i want something up to 6 inch

A 2 foot tank is too small for any fish attaining 6 inches, aside perhaps from a few quiet catfish.

Olympia 05-20-2012 11:00 AM

I agree. Plus, what are your water parameters?
There are a few odd looking small fish out there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stormfish 05-20-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1088348)
A 2 foot tank is too small for any fish attaining 6 inches, aside perhaps from a few quiet catfish.

+1 on that.

Putting a 6" fish into a 24" tank is like a person living in a walk-in closet.

jfengler 05-20-2012 06:00 PM

parameters and that stuff dosnt matter i can change it quite easily but this is no help i just would like to hear a list of strange looking fish

jaysee 05-20-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfengler (Post 1088916)
parameters and that stuff dosnt matter i can change it quite easily but this is no help i just would like to hear a list of strange looking fish

While I agree with you to a point that chemistry is generally not that important - stable water is better than perfect water so I would not use any products to alter the water chemistry unless your water is at an extreme. Even then, there are natural ways to do it.

Most strange looking fish require larger tanks to 48+". You could probably keep an afican butterfly. It's not an active fish - it sits around in a big tank just the same as a small tank IME. It is certainly an odd looking fish - it's closest relative is the arowana.

Olympia 05-20-2012 07:46 PM

Yes, but if you want a variety, as you will with smaller fish, it's important to keep same parameter species together all the same. And keeping fish in improper conditions can lead to shortened lifespans.
Two interesting soft water species could be a school of hatchetfish and glass catfish.. along with a butterfly or two on top.

dmuddle 05-20-2012 08:33 PM

He asked for strange FISH. Not parameters, if you give him some ideas he can FIND OUT the parameters, I thought that would have been obvious guys.