Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Kuhlis and Danios (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/kuhlis-danios-10194/)

fish_4_all 12-21-2007 08:15 PM

Kuhlis and Danios

Well in my eternal wisdom I managed to delete the original post so let's try this again.

How many Danios and Kulii loaches would you put in a 10 gallon tank?
And what type of Danios? Hopefully I will be able to get the different species at my LFS.

SeaSerpant 12-21-2007 09:51 PM

Kuhli loaches usually live underground or in dark places so you'd be able to get around 5 danios.

Lupin 12-21-2007 10:05 PM

LOL, Chris!:lol:

4 kuhlis is the minimum. I am sure your tank has sufficient space for that. They prefer leaf litter and several hiding places but will not need all these if they feel comfortable with your tank. As far as danios are concerned, I'd simply stick with microrasboras and boraras as danios prefer plenty of swimming space.

herefishy 12-21-2007 10:15 PM

hat kind of danios? The giant danios, in any quantity, would soon outgrow a 10g tank. Zebras, leopard, celestial peral danios, harlequin rasboras would all stay rather small. in the case of the cpd's around 1". A good 6-8 o the cpd's woul be nice.

fish_4_all 12-22-2007 01:00 AM

Are the CPD's egg layers like the danios are? I kinda want to provide a nutrient rich supply of food for the kuhliis through the egg scattering by the other fish. I will have to look them up but would like any other input about them.

I found them called Galaxy Roseboras also, are they still ones that will work Lupin or do they need the extra space also?

Also, would the roseboras breed like the Danios?

Now I know why I stuck with live bearers, easier to remember the names. :roll:

fish_4_all 12-22-2007 01:25 AM

Ok, this is totally confusing:

microrasboras
rasboras
boraras
CPD

Are they all the same thing, technically anyway? I may make a new post about this but can someone clear up what I need to research, please. :frustrated: :thankyou:

Lupin 12-22-2007 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_4_all
Are the CPD's egg layers like the danios are?

Yes, they are.
Quote:

I found them called Galaxy Roseboras also, are they still ones that will work Lupin or do they need the extra space also?
Galaxy rasboras=celestial pearl danios.
Quote:

Also, would the roseboras breed like the Danios?
Some rasboras are egg depositors. Some are egg scatterers. Several danios and devarios are egg scatterers.

Bob posted a thread about breeding CPD's. Look for sticky threads in Freshwater Breeding section.

Lupin 12-22-2007 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_4_all
Ok, this is totally confusing:

microrasboras
rasboras
boraras
CPD

Are they all the same thing, technically anyway? I may make a new post about this but can someone clear up what I need to research, please. :frustrated: :thankyou:

LOL! Type "Rasbora" in search engine of en.wikipedia.org and you get some results. I've already linked it in General forum in one of the sticky threads, "Freshwater Species References".