Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   2 Cory fry and no room for their own big grow out tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/2-cory-fry-no-room-their-101838/)

djembekah 05-18-2012 11:37 AM

2 Cory fry and no room for their own big grow out tank

I have got surprise fry. Well not really a surprise, because i intentionally put a couple of eggs in a little floating container the day i found them, but I didn't intentionally breed xD

Anyways! i've got two little wrigglers that hatched yesterday floating in a little tupperware inside of my 29 high. I'll tell you a little about my tank. The 29 high is a community, with 5 bronze cory adults, 7 zebra danios (six regular, one glofish), a female betta, and a rabbit snail. I have two crypts and a clump of java moss for real plants, 4 silk plants, and a big piece of malaysian driftwood. There are also two glass caves in there.

My biggest concern is my two little babies. I know i shouldn't put them out in the open with the betta and the other fish, since they are live food lovers, and my fry are still not really free swimming. I have a couple ideas for this though.

-I have a spare one gallon tank that used to house one of my male bettas. It has an under gravel filter, and is kind of the shape of the Superman S symbol. It also has a light in its hood. I dont have a heater for it but i can pick one up (would something like 7.5 watts be too big? or a betta bowl heater maybe?). I would also put a live plant in there as a source of infusoria.

-I could take a bigger tupperware container and cut pieces out of it for water to flow, stuff the holes with java moss, then put a nylon around the outside and hang it on the side of the 29. Then i was thinking i could add a floating plant that stayed in the area of my makeshift breeder.

-I could also just pick up a breeding net/trap, or keep them in the little tupperware awhile longer

Would any of these work for saving these two fry? i want to try to keep my cuties alive as best i can, even though they were a surprise. i'm very partial to these two babies. and if there are fry somewhere in the tank too, then i guess they'll be able to hide in the driftwood and java moss. and as i add more plants, if the cories spawn again, then i'll hopefully have a better method then. but yes, i do need to know what the best way to go about this would be with my limited space options

Byron 05-18-2012 08:09 PM

In a well-planted tank with chunks of bogwood, some fry can often survive. Obviously depends partly on tank inhabitants too, as some are more likely than others to hunt out eggs/fry.

As you mention, food will be plentiful the more plants there are. Setting up a new tank will limit this of course, but if you can toss in wood and plants from an established tank it will help. Dry leaves like oak, beech, almond (you can buy these in some stores) will produce Infusoria. And you can also buy it in some fish stores.

Once the fry are free swimming, I would drop in some shrimp pellets. Microworms would be nice, but not essential if you can't get any locally.

I recently rescued a cory fry at about 3/16 of an inch from the canister filter when I cleaned it. I put it in my then-fishless 10g and he found sufficient live food to grow to about half an inch in a couple weeks. I've now got him back in the main tank with the others, and he is about 3/4 of an inch. I saw at least two other fry in that tank, but haven't spotted them for a few weeks now, so something may have got them.

Byron.

djembekah 05-19-2012 12:38 AM

well that wasn't my question, but thank you for that info!

Byron 05-19-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djembekah (Post 1086945)
well that wasn't my question, but thank you for that info!

I thought I did, but I now see it may have been buried. My suggestion is to use the small tank, move as many plants into it as you can, and let the fry grow out in this.

djembekah 05-20-2012 12:21 AM

OH okay re-reading it i see it x3 thank you!