Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   When Will My Fish (livebearers) Give Birth? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/when-will-my-fish-livebearers-give-101742/)

Sheldz 05-17-2012 09:17 AM

When Will My Fish (livebearers) Give Birth?

Hey, I have had Fish (guppy's, Mollies) Give birth before but Never Really be in time to see it or save the baby's and i dont want that to happen again. I have 3 mollies and One guppy that i can tell is pregnant but i was hoping you guys could help me to aprox. predict the day.:-D

FishHaven (: - 20 gallon Freshwater fish tank

Thats A link To my aquarium. The Fish Are The White/Silver Molly, orange balloon, and The Orange and black one. And There Is only one Guppy and 2 close ups there.

Thanks In Advance,
Sheldz:-)

Termato 05-17-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldz (Post 1084631)
Hey, I have had Fish (guppy's, Mollies) Give birth before but Never Really be in time to see it or save the baby's and i dont want that to happen again. I have 3 mollies and One guppy that i can tell is pregnant but i was hoping you guys could help me to aprox. predict the day.:-D

FishHaven (: - 20 gallon Freshwater fish tank

Thats A link To my aquarium. The Fish Are The White/Silver Molly, orange balloon, and The Orange and black one. And There Is only one Guppy and 2 close ups there.

Thanks In Advance,
Sheldz:-)

Welcome to TFK

Could be tomorrow. Could be a week. I would isolate them in a breeder net if you really want to save the fry.

Otherwise another tank works great.

Sheldz 05-17-2012 01:14 PM

I Have 2 In A seperate tank with allot of Plastic 'grass'. And One Of Then Is Chasing the other allot. . . so i dont know if i should leave them together or put one in the main tank and one in the breeding tank.

Termato 05-17-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldz (Post 1084857)
I Have 2 In A seperate tank with allot of Plastic 'grass'. And One Of Then Is Chasing the other allot. . . so i dont know if i should leave them together or put one in the main tank and one in the breeding tank.

How many tanks do you have?

How big are they?

Who is chasing who?

Is the second tank set up and cycled?

Have you considered real plants?

Sheldz 05-17-2012 01:31 PM

okay i have one 20 gallon tank, and the other is 5g, i think. The 20 gallon has been running for 2 years and the other 2 weeks, so i think they are cycled. and i have silver dollars and they eat the plants :D and the silver sailfin chasing the orange balloon.

Termato 05-17-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldz (Post 1084875)
okay i have one 20 gallon tank, and the other is 5g, i think. The 20 gallon has been running for 2 years and the other 2 weeks, so i think they are cycled. and i have silver dollars and they eat the plants :D and the silver sailfin chasing the orange balloon.

A 5 gallon should really only be used to keep Shrimp, Snails, Betta or as a Hospital Tank. I would recommend moving the fry that survive after birth into the 5 gallon as it will suit them.

This is what I saw as your stocking list, this is the root of that problem and many further issues that will occur in the tank:

1 Longtail Pleco - This Pelco is going to get over 12" and is going to be FAR too big for this tank (you need to move this fish or get a bigger tank)

1 Goby - Is this the tiny little goby that doesn't get bigger than an inch?

4 Guppy's, 3 Balloon Mollies They will reproduce like locus. Best to have 1 male to 2 female ratio.

1 Glowlight Tetra, 1 Neon Tetra, 4 Silver-Tipped Tetra, 4 Danios - These fish like to be in schools of at least 5 in order to be healthy (Per Species) My honest recommendation is to pick two of these species and have at least 6-8 of one species. This will assure health and happiness.

4 Black Widow Tetra - These should be in a group of at least 5-6. They tend to nip the fins of all fish in the tank. I would highly suggest getting rid of these as they will lower stress level for ALL your fish.

8 Mollies (how many males and females)? Best to have 1 male to 2 female ratio.

1 Kribensis - Do not add any more Cichlids as she/he will be aggressive.

Golden Apple Snail

------

I think that you should really work on your stocking just to kind of work out some of the aggression that is occurring. If you like Plecos look into the Bristlenose Pleco. They stay small at about 5" and would be able to stay in that tank. They like driftwood...actually need it because they eat it so keep that in mind. You can feed them Zuchini if you don't feel they are eating enough.

You will have no problem reproducing the Mollies and Guppies as that is what they do. The females can hold sperm in their system from month and give birth multiple times from one load.

More importantly I think you should focus on the tetras and get it down to 2 species of them. Like getting rid of the black widows

The BEST option for you...is to get a bigger tank. To accommodate for that Pleco you'd have to at least get a 55 Gallon tank.

Sheldz 05-17-2012 02:01 PM

ok, thanks for the advice :)

My black widows are shy. they stick to the back as a group and have had 2 of them since i first got the tank and have never seen then nip or have any of my fishes fins been destroyed
My pleco hasnt increased in size in a year
My Goby is 4 inches +- and peacefull
I Dont like other cychlids, so i wont get more ecept for discus :D but getting a 4foot tank 4 them in a year)
My silver tiped are swimming not as a school but single along with the neon and glowlight
I have 1 male balloon and 2 females
I have 3 male sailfins and 5 Females
im getting more mollies as soon as i find different and nice colours.
:)
And as soon as i get a bigger tank for my discus i will move my pleco. but i heared that the discus should be in a species only tank because of the 'soft' water that might affect other fish.

Termato 05-17-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldz (Post 1084907)
ok, thanks for the advice :)

My black widows are shy. they stick to the back as a group and have had 2 of them since i first got the tank and have never seen then nip or have any of my fishes fins been destroyed
My pleco hasnt increased in size in a year

They are still small and they will get bigger so just keep an eye on the black widows. I love how they stick together but they do get nippy, especially when in small schools like that. This is my experience with them and with other keepers on here. You might have a different experience but I am just warning as I had issues with them.

As for the Pleco do you know the species name. Could be a smaller type of Pleco than.

Quote:

My Goby is 4 inches +- and peacefull

Can you get a picture. I'd love to see the Goby

Quote:

I Dont like other cychlids, so i wont get more ecept for discus :D but getting a 4foot tank 4 them in a year
My silver tiped are swimming not as a school but single along with the neon and glowlight

I have 1 male balloon and 2 females
I have 3 male sailfins and 5 Females
im getting more mollies as soon as i find different and nice colours.
:)
And as soon as i get a bigger tank for my discus i will move my pleco. but i heared that the discus should be in a species only tank because of the 'soft' water that might affect other fish.

I would get at least 1 more female sailfin to reduce stress.

Discus are very unique fish and I would do some extensive research on them. You can keep them in a non species tank, but that is where compatibility is VERY important. I myself want to keep them but don't have the space for it.

You can just wait and see what happens for yourself as all fish are different. Just keep an eye on everything.

I do suggest you sort out the tetras though because they shouldn't be by themselves. They are very social species that require interaction. The behavior you described is not normal. You should see them playing, schooling occasionally, separate, and then play. Mine play more than anything else, especially after I feed them. I have 11 Neons in a 29 gallon. Going to get more soon.

Again I recommend you reduce it to 2 species and have at least 5...preferably 8 of one species. I cannot say enough how much you will love the look of a large school instead of a disorganized bundle. It's quite beautiful.

Sheldz 05-18-2012 10:15 AM

HEY!!! My Molly Gave BIrth This Morning!! to 17 Babies!! They Are So Cute!!

Sheldz 05-21-2012 08:11 PM

Make ThAt 22!!! :D
Posted via Mobile Device