Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   zucchini and peas questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/zucchini-peas-questions-101726/)

marshallsea 05-17-2012 01:03 AM

zucchini and peas questions

i have recently started feeding some veggies to my fish. when feeding zucchini, should i remove skin and seeds? whats the trick to skinning peas? do peas have two skins?

ashtricks 05-17-2012 06:09 AM

I do feed my fish zucchini and peas frequently. While I remove the skin I don't remove the seeds from the zucchini, but I blanch them though.
Yeah.... peas have double skin. One which is the pod, and one to the individual pea. If you use frozen peas, the skin will come off very easily after you blanch them. (Blanching is usually done by keeping the veggies in boiling water for a couple of minutes and then suddenly dumped in cold water)
I won't recommend not removing the skin off the peas especially if you are feeding them to small fish. Zucchini seeds seem to be ok though.
And do remember to remove whatever is left uneaten in a few hours. I usually feed in the morning and take it out in the evening.
Hope this helps.

AbbeysDad 05-17-2012 06:47 AM

To remove the skin from peas, you simply squeeze between thumb and forefinger aiming for a cup or dish.

marshallsea 05-17-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashtricks (Post 1084544)
I do feed my fish zucchini and peas frequently. While I remove the skin I don't remove the seeds from the zucchini, but I blanch them though.
Yeah.... peas have double skin. One which is the pod, and one to the individual pea. If you use frozen peas, the skin will come off very easily after you blanch them. (Blanching is usually done by keeping the veggies in boiling water for a couple of minutes and then suddenly dumped in cold water)
I won't recommend not removing the skin off the peas especially if you are feeding them to small fish. Zucchini seeds seem to be ok though.
And do remember to remove whatever is left uneaten in a few hours. I usually feed in the morning and take it out in the evening.
Hope this helps.

sounds good thank you

Stormfish 05-17-2012 07:53 AM

I leave the skin on the zucchini. It seems to be the favourite part of it amongst my Otos and Cory. Just leave it on. Give the zucchini a good wash, slice, blanch and the skin is nice and soft.

I've read on multiple occasions that peas can constipate fish betta in particular. That said, I don't feed peas.

ashtricks 05-17-2012 08:11 AM

@Stormfish: Don't know about constipation, but I fed my goldfish peas to cure early signs of swim bladder disease... it worked like a charm. The zucchini I get has very thick skin. The insides get dissolved if I wait for the skin to get soft. I will try different variety next time! Thanks!

marshallsea 05-21-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 1084568)
To remove the skin from peas, you simply squeeze between thumb and forefinger aiming for a cup or dish.

i tried that, works great!

warblrwatchr 06-21-2013 10:52 PM

I know a guy who gives a pea to his betta once a week to protect against constipation

JDM 06-22-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashtricks (Post 1084628)
@Stormfish: Don't know about constipation, but I fed my goldfish peas to cure early signs of swim bladder disease... it worked like a charm. The zucchini I get has very thick skin. The insides get dissolved if I wait for the skin to get soft. I will try different variety next time! Thanks!

Try the smallest zucs you can find, the skin gets thicker the larger it grows.

Jeff.

smit3183 06-22-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormfish (Post 1084616)
I leave the skin on the zucchini. It seems to be the favourite part of it amongst my Otos and Cory. Just leave it on. Give the zucchini a good wash, slice, blanch and the skin is nice and soft.

I've read on multiple occasions that peas can constipate fish betta in particular. That said, I don't feed peas.

I think you have that mixed up. Peas prevent constipation, it's a natural laxitive to all fish. Helps prevent against bloat.