Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   My platy is acting weird (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/my-platy-acting-weird-101722/)

mollylover 05-17-2012 12:47 AM

My platy is acting weird

My red wag platy "Charlie", has been acting weird for this last week. She is acting like she is in labor but not pregnant right now..she spends most of her time by the heater, swimming up/down, swimming left/right on the bottom..I think she is in "heat"..water parameters are ok as I check them every other day and do water changes once a week @ 40-50%..it is a 10 gallon tank with 5 platys, 4 tetras and a few baby fry..thanks

ps: she does have a little scrape on her side like she scratched the bottom it doesn't seem to bothering her..

kitten_penang 05-21-2012 01:53 PM

it could be something is making her itch and she's trying to scratch herself.try looking for sign of a parasite or bacterial infection on her body.

mollylover 05-22-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 1090026)
it could be something is making her itch and she's trying to scratch herself.try looking for sign of a parasite or bacterial infection on her body.

no she isnt itching she just hangs out around the heater

kitten_penang 05-22-2012 09:08 AM

well maybe she feels safe there or maybe it's just her thing right now just pay attention on whether she feeds ok and isn't showing any signs of stress or lifelessness

mollylover 05-27-2012 01:08 AM

My platy is sick :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 1091165)
well maybe she feels safe there or maybe it's just her thing right now just pay attention on whether she feeds ok and isn't showing any signs of stress or lifelessness

I have noticed that my platy has this gray matter or something on top of her. It almost looks like mold but I don't see any in the tank..she is barely eating and stays near the filter..if anyone knows what to do let me know..I don't want to lose anymore fish as I have become really attached to her..thx

kitten_penang 05-27-2012 05:05 AM

grey matter?? does it look like cotton?it could be cotton wool or fungus.have a good look and tell me what you see.if it really is 1 of the above you'll need to do a wc take out the carbon from your filter and start medicating the fish.it's the only way to save her

mollylover 05-27-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 1096931)
grey matter?? does it look like cotton?it could be cotton wool or fungus.have a good look and tell me what you see.if it really is 1 of the above you'll need to do a wc take out the carbon from your filter and start medicating the fish.it's the only way to save her

It sort of looks like cotton but it looks better today gone down..I could treat her for a fungus as it shouldnt bother the other fish..I am due to do a wc as I do them on sundays..I am going to try and swab it off that is if she will keep still..thanks for all yr help

kitten_penang 05-28-2012 07:33 AM

i haven't heard of people swabbing it of just make sure you don't further stress her it will definately agrivate what ever it is attacking her immune system

mollylover 05-29-2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 1098088)
i haven't heard of people swabbing it of just make sure you don't further stress her it will definately agrivate what ever it is attacking her immune system

She seems to be acting a little bit better and alot more social..I will keep an eye on her and swabbing her was out of the question..thanks again for yr kindness..:-)

kitten_penang 06-02-2012 07:00 PM

your welcome i wish you all the best with her