Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Going away for X-mas (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/going-away-x-mas-10161/)

Mirta 12-20-2007 03:13 PM

Going away for X-mas

Could somebody, please help with a piece of advice in the following.

I have a tank at work. It is 200l with only three cherry barbs and four apple snails, plus their babies. I am planning to leave for the country for about a week for Christmas (5 days to be precise). I can take the barbs home and put them in one of my tanks where I've got automatic feeders and light timers. Or else I can leave them where they are with no light (only from the window) and dissolving weekend food. What could be the best solution from the point of view of the benefit for the fish?

Sorry, I've made it long.

mgamer20o0 12-20-2007 03:39 PM

i would just leave them and not bother with the weekend feeder. those usually cause more harm then good. i have left tanks for 10 days come back to find everyone was fine.

herefishy 12-20-2007 04:04 PM

I would feed a little heavier than normal a few days before I left. I would also perform a water change of about 25%. Then, I would leave, vacation, and enjoy my holiday.

Amphitrite 12-20-2007 05:09 PM

Yep, I agree. I've gone away and left my fish for a week at a time without any problems. I feed the fish well the morning of the day before leaving and perform a water change the evening before I leave.

I've never had any problems doing this. Oh.. and have a fantastic holiday!

Falina 12-20-2007 07:48 PM

I agree with everyone else. Just make sure there aren't a lot of leftovers in the tank before you leave, or the parameters could start spiking.

Enjoy your holiday. :)

Mirta 12-21-2007 01:40 AM

Thank you all!

I am sure there are no leftovers since the snails clean up everything. There are only three little fishes there.

I only feel a bit sad that somebody will be experiencing discomfort while we are vacationing. :?

herefishy 12-21-2007 02:32 AM

You could always put your answering machine close to the tank. Call home and let them hear your voice after the beep. Just a thought. lol

Mirta 12-21-2007 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herefishy
You could always put your answering machine close to the tank. Call home and let them hear your voice after the beep. Just a thought. lol

Now that's a good idea! The only problem is that the three unfortunate guys with the snails will stay at work, not at home. I can call them but they won't hear. Those at home are in great number and they will be fed automatically.

Well, somebody has to stay on duty! :lol: