Tropical Fish Keeping banner

cichlids in a community/tropical tank

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  rhymon78 
#1 ·
hello people this is just out of general curiosity as cichlids are kind of growing on me haha is it possible (apart from angelfish) have cichlids in a tropical community tank? and if so what kinds? any special kinds of treatment? i know they are territorial type fish

#4 ·
The tank size is very important in adding a cichlid to a community tank. And of course the species. And with male and female, which is normal for most cichlids, spawning will be regular and frequent; this is where the tank space comes into play, as ciichlids are very determined protectors of their eggs and fry. And unless the tank is very large, there shouldnot be more than one cichlid species.

#6 · (Edited)
It really depends on what other fish you want to put in the tank with them. Rift Lake Cichlids need hard water and get rather aggressive at spawning time.

Yellow labs in a group of 1 male to 4 female would work but would need a tank of 55g (preferably 75g) or larger. Yellow labs are quite adapt to different water parameters but can get nasty depending on what is in the tank with them.

Reactions: Gerbo
#8 ·
I also would suggest Bolivian rams for a community tank. Someone on this forum recently suggested them as I was looking for the same. I can say I am very happy with the selection. I got two of them, and am still uncertain of the sex, yet both are very friendly with all others in the tank. This even with minor squabbling amongst themselves they show zero aggression towards other tank mates.

#9 ·
Go bolivian Ram, I have one in a 29g community tank and he is super chilled, and very pretty. Totally avoid adding any other kind of cichlid though, unless like others have mentioned you have the space. I added a female Kribensis and it was a disaster. AVOID AVOID AVOID. Bolivians are super cute, and easier to keep than say Germans..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.