Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   My discus fishes are not OK (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/my-discus-fishes-not-ok-101409/)

yssnhshm 05-13-2012 10:58 PM

My discus fishes are not OK

2 Attachment(s)
Hello friends
All my discus fish are on the top of the tank on their sides , although water adjustment is ok , also i change water every 2 days , temp. is 28 C. ,, what is the problem.
the tank is 100 litre , 6 discus 5 cm , 6 corycats , 1 clown loach 3 cm , 3 medium size apple snails
thanks

Tazman 05-13-2012 11:10 PM

What are your water parameters for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, General Hardness and Carbonate Hardness (last two can be obtained from your water supply company if not tested)
How long has your tank been running?

ON another note, your tank is way too small to keep Discus in. Looking at the profile by clicking on the grey box around Discus, you will see in our profiles they need a 4ft (48") tank of 75g or bigger.

yssnhshm 05-13-2012 11:32 PM

This tank has been running since one month, i have three other tanks but it is my first time to have discus , i think these fishes are still small untill now & this size is good until they grow up . plz tell me if i m wrong.

Geomancer 05-14-2012 09:57 AM

They should be in a tank sized for them as adults, growing in too small of a tank can cause health issues. None of the fish you listed are going extinct, they'll be around when/if you decide to put in a tank large enough to hold them.

But that side, you say the tank has been running for 1 month? Did you cycle it before adding fish?

Discus are an extremely sensitive fish to water parameters, best only added to a well established tank. They also need pretty specific water parameters so we still need to know Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, and GH at a minimum.

A single Clown Loach is also asking for trouble, read up on their profile as well. In addition this tank is far too small for them.

Sam Crow 05-14-2012 12:25 PM

Your tank is definitely too small for the fish you have. Not only the fish/tank size, but their amount of waste is an issue. If your water tests out fine, then I think it's likely a type of fish depression (which is a real thing). If the environment is wrong for your fish, then they will respond in a negative way. Sometimes it's sluggishness, sometimes it's aggression, often times it results in the death of fish. Depression puts stress on your fish. It can cause them to "shut down".

You either need a larger tank with appropriate tank mates ASAP, or you need to find new homes for your fishy friends. The Clown Loach should be in a much lager setup as well. Those things grow pretty large and need room as well as others of their kind.

Geo is right about the tank size and health concerns.

Byron 05-15-2012 05:44 PM

I certainly agree with the prior posts that the tank is too small for these fish long-term, but this is not your immediate problem and we need to fix that. Discus on their side is usually the beginning of the end and it indicates a serious problem or problems.

Please give us the water data Tazman asked for previously, this is critical. I am suspecting that we will find ammonia or nitrite the issue, after just one month, but in case not, the other data will help.

Is there any difference in pH between the tap and tank water?

What water conditioner do you use for water changes? And is any other substance/additive going in the tank.

What do you feed them?

Byron.

yssnhshm 05-16-2012 12:19 PM

3 of the 6 discus died until now , i hope to save the others

Byron 05-16-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yssnhshm (Post 1083453)
3 of the 6 discus died until now , i hope to save the others

Well, no one here will be able to assist you in saving them if you won't provide us with the data we've asked for. We can't diagnose from no information any more than a doctor can detect disease when you telephone him and say you feel sick. Please give us the data so we can save your fish.