Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Synodontis Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/synodontis-catfish-1014/)

starcollector 10-23-2006 02:39 AM

Synodontis Catfish

Hi I listed my tank stats below. The tank has been running for about 2 months. I made some newbie mistakes by adding too many fish before it had cycled; and lost several fish as a result, sadly. However, now my tank is cycled. During that time, all of my platies got huge bellies and then went "belly up" (dead).

A week ago I bought a small 1.5" syndontis catfish. He is beautiful. He's been doing well, and often comes out while the light is on to eat and explore, and is very friendly. However, just tonite, I noticed that he suddenly has a huge belly (didn't have it yesterday). This can't be normal, can it? Also, 2 of my gold barbs have pretty big bellies too. What is causing this? Is it my high pH? I can't seem to get the pH down, despite trying to use "neutralizers" (slowly), driftwood, and even water changes w/ bottled water. Is my fish going to die? He wasn't cheap, and he is so pretty. :0( How can I help him?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 8.0-8.2
Temp: 82 F.

46-gal bowfront, running 2 months
5 gold barbs
6 tiger barbs
2 albino corys
1 syndontis catfish
live plants

Bristle nose 10-23-2006 02:53 AM

It might be an internal infection!

rev 10-23-2006 03:20 AM

Hi there. If he's a Syno. Eupterus or featherfin syno. then the bulging belly may be normal. They're very greedy eaters. If more several fish have fat bellies try cutting down on the feeding & see if they return to normal in a day or two.

starcollector 10-23-2006 03:29 AM

Belly

Thanks for the replies! I will cut back on the feeding. He is a featherfin syno. Very pretty. I didn't realize it was possible for them to get big bellies from eating a lot (like expanding I guess). He does eat alot; both the flakes and the algae pellets. The gold barbs are very greedy eaters too. So you think these species are ok in this high pH? Thanks again!

Bristle nose 10-23-2006 03:34 AM

Put the ph level down to at least neutral as catfish like more acidic water!

starcollector 10-23-2006 11:18 AM

PH

Thanks for the advice, but please note what I stated above:

"I can't seem to get the pH down, despite trying to use "neutralizers" (slowly), driftwood, and even water changes w/ bottled water."

The pH remains high, for some reason. Any suggestions for me to bring down the pH, bristlenose? Thanks.

:?

Lupin 10-23-2006 11:25 AM

Re: PH

Quote:

Originally Posted by starcollector
"I can't seem to get the pH down, despite trying to use "neutralizers" (slowly), driftwood, and even water changes w/ bottled water."

The pH remains high, for some reason. Any suggestions for me to bring down the pH, bristlenose? Thanks.

Are these neutralizers the ones labelled as "pH down"? I wouldn't use those. They are crap and will not work very well.
I'd leave your tapwater overnight in a glass and test it the next day for any varying pH changes.
Sand and rocks if not inert are also one of the factors to consider why your pH doesn't decrease.

Bristle nose 10-23-2006 09:57 PM

What is the ph level of your tap water and bottled water ?
Do you have anything in you tank like shell's or rock's?
What substrate do you have in your tank?

caferacermike 10-24-2006 12:56 AM

You guys say get the PH down for syn?? I've always heard keep it around 7.8-8.0 as in the same water for African cichlids as that's there nomal environment. For the S. Americans I try to keep my water between 5.7-6.5.

Gump 10-25-2006 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caferacermike
You guys say get the PH down for syn?? I've always heard keep it around 7.8-8.0 as in the same water for African cichlids as that's there nomal environment. For the S. Americans I try to keep my water between 5.7-6.5.

Im with him on this one. higher ph for synos.