Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Black Skirt Tetras have ich (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/black-skirt-tetras-have-ich-10139/)

Jasey 12-19-2007 04:17 PM

Black Skirt Tetras have ich
 
I'm pretty sure that my two long-fin black skirt tetras have ich. I noticed a few white specks on their fins yesterday, and a couple on their bodies. I added aquarium salt (1/4 tsp.) and QuickCure (1 drop) to the tank (2.5 gallons). I took out the carbon filtration as directed. QuickCure says it cures ich in 48 hours.

Today I noticed there are more white specks on the fins. I added another dose of QuickCure and raised the temperature to about 80 degrees F.

What I am not sure of is if the tetras can tolerate a temperature of 84 degrees F? I'm afraid of raising it higher than 80 if they cannot tolerate it.[/quote]

vinoth1465 12-19-2007 05:06 PM

Re: Black Skirt Tetras have ich
 
increase the temp gradually to 82 degrees... do some research on ick before trying to cure it... it surely helped me... it takes atleast 2 weeks to completely rid of the parasite...

make sure the tank is well areated as increase in temp reduces oxygen level... especially in a small tank, you need to be extra careful. gradually add 2 tsp / gallon. this will reduce the osmotic stress on the fish...

medicine or salt does not kill the parasite on the fish skin... when the white specks are in adult stage, they fall off from the fish, multiply within and when they break out of their cysts, thats when they are very vulnerable to medication and temp...

follow the instructions on the medication and treat for atleast 2 weeks... do 50% water change everyday, this ensures you will remove the free stage (swimming) parasite... make sure the water temp matches the temp in the tank...



Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasey
I'm pretty sure that my two long-fin black skirt tetras have ich. I noticed a few white specks on their fins yesterday, and a couple on their bodies. I added aquarium salt (1/4 tsp.) and QuickCure (1 drop) to the tank (2.5 gallons). I took out the carbon filtration as directed. QuickCure says it cures ich in 48 hours.

Today I noticed there are more white specks on the fins. I added another dose of QuickCure and raised the temperature to about 80 degrees F.

What I am not sure of is if the tetras can tolerate a temperature of 84 degrees F? I'm afraid of raising it higher than 80 if they cannot tolerate it.

[/quote]

Jasey 12-19-2007 06:35 PM

Re: Black Skirt Tetras have ich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinoth1465
increase the temp gradually to 82 degrees... do some research on ick before trying to cure it... it surely helped me... it takes atleast 2 weeks to completely rid of the parasite...

make sure the tank is well areated as increase in temp reduces oxygen level... especially in a small tank, you need to be extra careful. gradually add 2 tsp / gallon. this will reduce the osmotic stress on the fish...

medicine or salt does not kill the parasite on the fish skin... when the white specks are in adult stage, they fall off from the fish, multiply within and when they break out of their cysts, thats when they are very vulnerable to medication and temp...

follow the instructions on the medication and treat for atleast 2 weeks... do 50% water change everyday, this ensures you will remove the free stage (swimming) parasite... make sure the water temp matches the temp in the tank...

Thanks for the information - I added an air pump/stone for extra aeration. I did read the ich sticky in this forum before posting. But what I am unsure of is whether or not the black skirt tetras can tolerate raising the temp all the way up to 84 degrees F (if done gradually of course).

vinoth1465 12-19-2007 06:58 PM

Re: Black Skirt Tetras have ich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasey
Thanks for the information - I added an air pump/stone for extra aeration. I did read the ich sticky in this forum before posting. But what I am unsure of is whether or not the black skirt tetras can tolerate raising the temp all the way up to 84 degrees F (if done gradually of course).

black skirt tetras require from 68F to 79F... leave the tank temp @ 82F

i am not too sure if they can tolerate 84F, that may be pushing... my opinion may differ from others...

Lupin 12-20-2007 05:12 AM

Re: Black Skirt Tetras have ich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasey
I'm pretty sure that my two long-fin black skirt tetras have ich. I noticed a few white specks on their fins yesterday, and a couple on their bodies. I added aquarium salt (1/4 tsp.) and QuickCure (1 drop) to the tank (2.5 gallons). I took out the carbon filtration as directed. QuickCure says it cures ich in 48 hours.

Your mileage will vary. It may or may not disappear in 48 hours. Continue treatment a week after all signs of ich disappear. Carbon will indeed remove meds. Carbon is not necessary even before you added meds. It is best to use it only if you intend to remove the meds. Other than that, it is just a waste of time and money.
Quote:

What I am not sure of is if the tetras can tolerate a temperature of 84 degrees F? I'm afraid of raising it higher than 80 if they cannot tolerate it.
82 degrees is just about the max for these fish. There are tetras that can tolerate temperature higher than that but not these ones.

Jasey 12-20-2007 08:14 AM

Re: Black Skirt Tetras have ich
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Your mileage will vary. It may or may not disappear in 48 hours. Continue treatment a week after all signs of ich disappear. Carbon will indeed remove meds. Carbon is not necessary even before you added meds. It is best to use it only if you intend to remove the meds. Other than that, it is just a waste of time and money.
Quote:

What I am not sure of is if the tetras can tolerate a temperature of 84 degrees F? I'm afraid of raising it higher than 80 if they cannot tolerate it.
82 degrees is just about the max for these fish. There are tetras that can tolerate temperature higher than that but not these ones.

Thanks, Lupin. :) The temp is staying at around 80-81 right now. I will keep the carbon out and continue the QuickCure and salt. I'll do a water change today too. Thanks again for the help guys!

Brother 12-22-2007 06:51 PM

I've had really good luck treating my fish with Coppersafe for Ick. I had read in a few forums that it worked but took a long time, however, I havent found that to be the case. Actually, I treated some Neon Tetras this week with Coppersafe and probably saw an 80% reduction in spots after only 24 hours. Four days later I saw no visible spots whatsoever.

One thing I did notice was that the fish were extra hungry when treating with Coppersafe, those Neons were attacking the fish food like piranna...lol...I think if I had put my hand in the tank I'd just pull out a bloody nub.

Lupin 12-22-2007 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother
I've had really good luck treating my fish with Coppersafe for Ick. I had read in a few forums that it worked but took a long time, however, I havent found that to be the case. Actually, I treated some Neon Tetras this week with Coppersafe and probably saw an 80% reduction in spots after only 24 hours. Four days later I saw no visible spots whatsoever.

One thing I did notice was that the fish were extra hungry when treating with Coppersafe, those Neons were attacking the fish food like piranna...lol...I think if I had put my hand in the tank I'd just pull out a bloody nub.

I don't suggest, however, the use of meds containing copper sulfate in a main tank. Remnants of copper are hard to remove and most fish just don't do well with traces of copper present in the tank.

Brother 12-23-2007 07:31 AM

Quote:

I don't suggest, however, the use of meds containing copper sulfate in a main tank. Remnants of copper are hard to remove and most fish just don't do well with traces of copper present in the tank.
Yeah, when I was researching how to treat the fish, there were folks who said copper was the greatest thing next to sliced bread and others that said it was the work of the devil. There so much information and mis-information out there and not just about fish but practically everything a person researches on the Net, its hard to figure out whats the right thing to do.

By the way, years ago my grandma use to put old, pure copper pennies in her tanks to cure Ich and her fish always seemed to live forever. :dunno:

Lupin 12-23-2007 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother
By the way, years ago my grandma use to put old, pure copper pennies in her tanks to cure Ich and her fish always seemed to live forever. :dunno:

The problem is that most fish nowadays just cannot handle wrong water conditions as they used to before. Several species have been bred too heavily hence the quality diminished allowing them to be vulnerable to heavy metals, et al.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2