Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   what pump should i buy (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/what-pump-should-i-buy-10135/)

seba 12-19-2007 12:52 PM

what pump should i buy

Hey guys i am setting up a salt water tank (60 gal)with a refugium and overflow, the overflow box has a 1' drain hose going into my 30 g refugium filter. What kind of pump should I buy for this kind of setup.
Thanks.

SKAustin 12-19-2007 03:27 PM

Im using the Eheim 1260 for a similar setup. 55g/30g also with the 1" It works great, I believe it's rated for about 700 gph @ 4' head. Its also got the holes in the base so with a few suction cups from the LFS, you can keep it off of the bottom and running even quieter than it already is.

caferacermike 12-19-2007 05:38 PM

I whole heartedly agree with Eheim 1260 or 1262. They are all I run.

seba 12-19-2007 09:49 PM

Is it ok for me to have a stronger pump then my overflow will handle?
wont it ruin the pump if it runs try, sry guys for any stupid questions still new at this.

caferacermike 12-20-2007 05:05 PM

NO!!

A stronger pump can suck your sump dry faster than it can refill through the overflow, this will result in flooding your main tank until the excess lands on your floor.

The only exceptions would be if you had an extraordinarily long run of plumbing back to the tank, and or through several other items such as CA reactors, chillers, filters etc.. that would cause head loss. If it's only a couple hundred GPH you could add a tee and recirculation loop so the pump can run full strength and just recirculate water in the sump.

SKAustin 12-20-2007 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caferacermike
you could add a tee and recirculation loop so the pump can run full strength and just recirculate water in the sump.

Definately, you should do this regardless. Adding valve shutoffs to the recirculation loop and return line will give you both the ability to fine tune your flow rate to the display, and/or shut off the sump from the display completely. Shutting off the return is helpful when working in the sump. that way anythiing you stir up in the sump, wont end up in the display.

I have a friend who discovered the need for this feature after a near catastrophic event. During a routine macro algae harvest, the DSB in his fuge was disturbed when he moved some algaes that had begun to root in the sand. The gasses released into the water traveled into his display and all of his fish and inverts suffered a temporary paralasis. All but 1 fish survived, but in SW, 1 fish could be a big loss..

seba 12-23-2007 09:48 PM

Been thinking about where to put my sump it would be either making a bigger cabinet under the aquarim or running the drain hose into the basement, thinking about running the drain hose into the basement if 700 gal/hr pump is fine with the pump being under the aquarium do i have do buy something stonger to run it from my basement it will be about 15 ft up. If yes how strong of a pump would you recomend?

Age of Aquariums 12-23-2007 09:56 PM

Try looking at Eheim's website, they might have a chart for high-head flow.

seba 12-23-2007 10:26 PM

Did not see anything on their site.

Age of Aquariums 12-24-2007 07:13 AM

Ok, different pumps have different high-head flows, I'm familiar with Quiet One, but I can try to find a chart on the Internet.