Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Question regarding Moss Ball Plant (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/question-regarding-moss-ball-plant-101115/)

FluffyWolf2 05-10-2012 08:35 PM

Question regarding Moss Ball Plant

I believe partly in making a tank your own personality with the fish, plants, fake plants, and decor. I also believe though that taking care of the tank is important and you should cater to this also so that you can enjoy said personal touches.

I currently have a small 10 Gallon. I've been looking at getting a couple plants, not a lot, to put in the aquarium. I wanted some opinions on the Moss Ball variety of plant, partly because I think it would fit nicely in the tank, but also I find it quite a quirky and fun looking plant (algae I read?).

Would this work in my aquarium, should I be concerned about anything in particular? Any other info I can give to help I can :)

Thanks!

Geomancer 05-11-2012 05:48 AM

Yes, it technically is a form of algae.

They grow really slowly, but do not require any special care. Just put it in and forget about it.

About the only thing you need to do with them is during your weekly water change flip it around so the bottom dosen't turn brown.

There isn't anything about them to cause concern =)

Olympia 05-11-2012 05:57 AM

Mine collect a lot of debris so you may have to wash it. I just run mine under the tap.
Growth wise, 5mm a year is the average, so very slow.
Really it shouldn't give you any problems, even if it goes all brown you can usually save it by putting it in a jar on a window sill.
I don't think "algae" is a very technical term, as it usually refers to the kingdom Protista. I'm not sure if there are any other plants that are called algae.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lisalis 05-11-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1077118)
Mine collect a lot of debris so you may have to wash it. I just run mine under the tap.
Growth wise, 5mm a year is the average, so very slow.
Really it shouldn't give you any problems, even if it goes all brown you can usually save it by putting it in a jar on a window sill.
I don't think "algae" is a very technical term, as it usually refers to the kingdom Protista. I'm not sure if there are any other plants that are called algae.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm glad this topic came up! I just purchased 5 mini maribo moss balls from an online auction. I have read alot about them and that they are very hardy and require little to no care. Glad everything I have read was confirmed...I can't wait to get mine!!!! :)

nags 05-11-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 1077113)
Yes, it technically is a form of algae.

They grow really slowly, but do not require any special care. Just put it in and forget about it.

About the only thing you need to do with them is during your weekly water change flip it around so the bottom dosen't turn brown.

There isn't anything about them to cause concern =)

with it being an algae would it be a good food source for my oto catfish?

Geomancer 05-11-2012 09:07 AM

No, Oto's only eat a specific kinds.

If you need to supplement their food source, put a piece of vegetable in like a slice of cucumber. Vegetables will float, so you may need a plant weight, or a vegetable clip.

kafkabeetle 05-12-2012 12:35 AM

I don't think any algae eaters will touch it.

This is a REALLY hardy "plant." I actually have a tiny marimo ball inside of a tiny jar strung on a necklace. I got it for Christmas this year. I keep it near a window, but behind a flower pot so it's not too bright and it's still nice and green 5 months later. It hasn't grown very much though. I change the water every once in a while, or use a pipe cleaner to scrape off tiny bits of (regular) algae that grows along the water line. I use water from my aquarium so it gets the same fertilizers my other plants get, but I don't think that's really even necessary.