Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Can someone help me with my water parameters? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/can-someone-help-me-my-water-101083/)

Stonesy 05-10-2012 04:36 PM

Can someone help me with my water parameters?

The 75 gal's parameters are: ammonia 0ppm
ph 7.8
nitrate 10ppm
nitrite 0

the 55 gal's parameters are: ammonia .25
ph 7.8
nitrite 10ppm
nitrite 0ppm

Both are well planted. The question is, what do I need to do to improve the parameters? I do weekly water changes of about 50%.

Hanky 05-10-2012 04:50 PM

10 ppm nitrates is perfectly exceptable, hard to keep it at 0 , as for the 55, you have nitrite typed twice but same goes for nitrates , ammonia of .25 isnt bad but should be zero, what is the stocking in this tank? If your really concerned try more water changes but really 10ppm is fine

SeaHorse 05-10-2012 04:51 PM

Can you check your post.... do you have a typo in the 55 gallon list? NitrAte?

Stonesy 05-10-2012 05:00 PM

..the 55g, i have learned since reading TFK, i'm over stocked and certain fish should not "fin" together. Am learning the hard way.

Stonesy 05-10-2012 05:11 PM

:-?Hanky, thank you for your reply so quick. I've had the tank over two years now and up to today, I've had no problems. I am also going to figure out what to de-populate of.

Hanky 05-10-2012 05:20 PM

overstocking will cause ammonia, What do you have in there? being a bit overstocked can be ok if you do enough water changes and have extra filtration just my opinion though and others will say get rid of some fish.

Stonesy 05-10-2012 06:32 PM

Here's the inventory in the 55g.

2 platys
5 "pork chops"
7 glass cats
6 corys
1 botia (2")
1 pleco (2")
3 sunset gouramis
2 up-side down cats
3 (unwanted) chinese algae eaters, ( however they have cleaned the tank of algae, but they do pick on a few select fish)
3 horse face loaches
2 zebra danios
3 blood fins
1 widow maker
1 brown African knife

Way too much, now I know. What would you do?

Tazman 05-10-2012 08:29 PM

OK.,

The Chinese Algae Eater, I would recommend to GO, they are aggressive, messy and stop eating algae when older.

The Upside Catfish need to be in groups of 3 or more.
Bloodfin Tetra need to be in groups of 5 or more.
Zebra Danio also need to be in groups of 5 or more.

Most Pleco require driftwood in the tank so you would need that, it also depends on what pleco it is, some can get over a foot long which is way too much for your tank.

Gourami need a well planted tank.

You need to pick which fish you would like to keep and we can then offer suggestions for your tank.

There is going to have to be A LOT of changes though. :-(

Hanky 05-10-2012 09:34 PM

I agree with Tazman, you'll need to decide if you want 10-15 smaller fish or just a few larger fish.

The knife fish will get up to a foot long and should be in a larger tank.

I would keep the cories and get rid of some loaches, ( personal preference for me though, I like cories)

get rid of chinese algae eaters,

hopefully your pleco is a bristlenose and not a common, commons will get way to big for your tank.

dont feel bad, alot of people overstock when they start out, main thing is you realize it and are making adjustments.

Stonesy 05-10-2012 10:00 PM

Thanks so much, I'm taking notes and taking advice. I'll figure which other ones to fish out other then the ones mentioned

I thought the Brown African Knife stayed at a 4 to 6 inch length and the pleco is a small one, it was called a "clown" pleco. If that is correct, I don't know, but it's about 2" for over two years now. Maybe I should let those two go also. Hmmmmmm. I'll think it out and post a thread.. Y'all have been super help!