Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fish For 20" long (10 gallon) tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-20-long-10-gallon-tank-101053/)

equatics 05-10-2012 05:24 AM

Fish For 20" long (10 gallon) tank?

Hi. I'm looking for fish for my 20" long 10 gallon tank, except for guppies and Engler's Livebearers. I guess that counts out Characins too because they need 24" and travel in big schools. I plan to understock this tank.

I thought it would be a real challenge to maintain a planted 10 gallon, but for now the challenge is to find a fish that can tolerate 20 inches of length. I have been looking at fish in the Tropical Fish Profiles, and just found one that meets the requirements - Otoclinclus - but obviously I will need to find a couple more denizens of my aquarium. Any suggestions?

Thanks! ;-)

Olympia 05-10-2012 05:45 AM

Do you know your water pH and hardness?
There are many dwarf fish- but counting out livebearers they are pretty much all soft water fish.
Posted via Mobile Device

equatics 05-10-2012 06:01 AM

Hi Olympia,

I heard a while back that the hardness of my water is very low, i.e., soft. Now, they buffer up the water to raise the pH. pH in my tank is 7.3,

Olympia 05-10-2012 06:04 AM

Hmm, go to pet shop and get it tested. Or call your water supply place and ask them for numbers.
Celestial pearl danios are soft water fish than can do well in an over 7 pH. There are also a few other similar fish.
Posted via Mobile Device

equatics 05-10-2012 06:31 AM

Alkalinity Per MWRA

Hi Olympia,

The alkalinity of water coming out of my tap is 40 mg/l. pH is around 9.3.

Olympia 05-10-2012 07:05 AM

9.3!? That's crazy. That's like what salt water needs.
I don't know anymore. A lot of large rainbowfish could handle that, maybe some smaller types.
Posted via Mobile Device

equatics 05-10-2012 07:13 AM

Well, I guess either there's no CO2 in that water and it stabilizes when it gets into my tank, or I will have to loweer it by a lot to get to pH 7.3. I was just considering spaghnum moss...

Byron 05-10-2012 06:59 PM

This issue of the GH, KH and pH was dealt with in your other thread [you know that, this is just for the info of Olympia and others reading:-)] so this is a situation for soft water fish.

And there are many options among the Cyprinids, a few characins, some catfish, the smaller rainbowfish, some Badids, a few anabantids, killifish... you've the whole tropical region across the planet to choose from.:lol:

So many with a 10g have hard water that severely limits options. People like us with very soft water are in this sense lucky.

Byron.

Olympia 05-10-2012 07:14 PM

Was the 9.3 pH a typo?
You do have a lot of options with soft water. Were you looking for one species, two species, a species and a centerpiece fish?

Byron 05-10-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1076640)
Was the 9.3 pH a typo?
You do have a lot of options with soft water. Were you looking for one species, two species, a species and a centerpiece fish?

No typo, his water supply uses Alkalinity to raise the pH to 9.3 to avoid corrosion in water pipes, appliances, water tanks, etc from the soft acidic water. I have something of a similar situation here in Vancouver. Our water is even softer, at about 0.5 dGH with similar KH, and a pH around 5 or perhaps lower. So since 2001 they have been adding soda ash (sodium carbonate) and the pH out of the tap varies but mine is 7.0 to 7.2 with near-zero GH and KH. So in the aquarium it lowers fairly quickly. My tanks run around pH 5 except for two that I deliberately buffer with aragonite to keep the pH at 6.4 and 6.8 respectively.