Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Stocking 55 Gallon Tank. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/stocking-55-gallon-tank-100940/)

bots10 05-08-2012 09:49 PM

Stocking 55 Gallon Tank.

I had just bought a new 75 gallon tank for my africans and have been intrigued at south africans while browsing around both the local fish stores and online. I went ahead and got my 55 all set up and have had it running with old filters and threw a bottom of turbo start in there and just a few hours ago I went ahead and bought a pair of jack dempsey for the tank. Says they get to be right around 8-10 inches which i think for a 55 gallon tank should be a decent amount of space for just the two of them. Currently it is just a natural river pebble gravel and I will be adding a few pieces of driftwood and river rocks tomorrow.

I am curious as to if this tank will be big enough for the two of them and if so I would like to add some sort of algee eater and a cat fish to help with the cleaning duties.

I was going to go with one oscar but damn, those guys make a mess and they grow a little too quick for me, not to mention they get to be right around a foot or so and thats not providing a lot of space for them to swim and or turn around. I'm new to south africans so any advice would be great. Thanks..

-Justin

Tazman 05-08-2012 10:11 PM

Unless they are an already bonded pair, you are going to have major issues with 2 JD in a 55g tank.

Adults hate each other with a passion and are extremely territorial.

I hate to say it but why did you purchase fish and not research their requirements beforehand? The other thing to take into account as well is they can produce over 80 fry at each spawning.

bots10 05-08-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1074397)
Unless they are an already bonded pair, you are going to have major issues with 2 JD in a 55g tank.

Adults hate each other with a passion and are extremely territorial.

I hate to say it but why did you purchase fish and not research their requirements beforehand? The other thing to take into account as well is they can produce over 80 fry at each spawning.

They are tiny tiny little babies right now. Talking right around 1.5 inches. I figured if i wanted two and I kept just the two of them in the tank by them selves for awehile some sort of bond would have to form right?

On a side note one is white and one is black and the black one at first was pretty stressed but now it seems as though he/she is relaxing. He is back to his very dark black and is swimming around with the white one at his side.

Tazman 05-08-2012 10:24 PM

Ok, they will be fine for now in that tank then :-)

They can take up to a week or longer to feel comfortable with their new home and new tank mates. As long as they are not behaving strange and eating then they will likely calm down.

jeaninel 05-08-2012 10:27 PM

Best thing to do is buy about 6 of them as juveniles and let them pair off. Once a pair forms rehome the others.

Also, JD's are Central American not South African.