Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Missing Cory Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/missing-cory-catfish-100932/)

Sabotage 05-08-2012 08:47 PM

Missing Cory Catfish

So, i bought two catfish for my tank to help reduce algae buildup. There's just goldfish in the tank with them. Recently, i noticed one catfish disappeared. So, i looked around the tank, picked up the few props in the tank and he's nowhere to be found. I considered the possibility that a goldfish ate him... but considering my goldfish are not particularly big, its a stretch and they probably would've died trying (they're perfectly healthy). I had done a 20% water change earlier and i thought... what if i accidentally "ousted him"? But I'm pretty sure i checked to make sure and that he was still in the tank after the water change. I also checked the filter, nothing. I considered he might just have died, but i haven't found a carcass.

With all that said and done, anyone have any ideas where the little irritant went?

PS the other one is still here.

GwenInNM 05-08-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabotage (Post 1074271)
So, i bought two catfish for my tank to help reduce algae buildup. There's just goldfish in the tank with them. Recently, i noticed one catfish disappeared. So, i looked around the tank, picked up the few props in the tank and he's nowhere to be found. I considered the possibility that a goldfish ate him... but considering my goldfish are not particularly big, its a stretch and they probably would've died trying (they're perfectly healthy). I had done a 20% water change earlier and i thought... what if i accidentally "ousted him"? But I'm pretty sure i checked to make sure and that he was still in the tank after the water change. I also checked the filter, nothing. I considered he might just have died, but i haven't found a carcass.

With all that said and done, anyone have any ideas where the little irritant went?

PS the other one is still here.

Check around on the floor, behind the tank? Do you have pets, such as a cat, that could have snagged it? Beyond what you've already considered, can't think of anything else. Poor little guy :(

Gwen

Misomie 05-09-2012 09:15 AM

This happened to my with two largish feeder goldfish. :/

Only explanation that they completely disappeared at the same time was my cat. (cats are extremely clever and can work their paws into the smallest of openings)

Tazman 05-09-2012 09:25 AM

Sorry for your loss and as I noted this is your first post here, Welcome to TFK as well :-)

ZTK412 06-16-2012 11:42 PM

How big are your goldfish because it is highly likely that one of the goldfish ate him or he could have jumped out. Was your tank covered??

eaturbyfill 06-29-2012 08:13 AM

Hopefully he's just hiding?

fish monger 06-29-2012 08:31 AM

Catfish can be jumpers. The floor would be the first place I would look. I've had them vanish also. Good luck !

Bacon Is Good 07-01-2012 10:42 AM

He probaly got eat by your goldfish. How big is he?