Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Which water flow from filter (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/water-flow-filter-100931/)

russp 05-08-2012 08:34 PM

Which water flow from filter

In both my current aquariums, I keep the water level high enough where the water just flows from the filter into the surface of the aquarium creating just a current. Is this OK or would it be better to lower the water level in the tanks to create more of a water fall? Tank 1 is a 10 gallon with 7 small tropicals and 2 cories, the other is a 29 gallon currently with 4 chiclids.

russp 05-08-2012 08:37 PM

Odd number of fish

Has anyone else found it better to keep an odd number of similar fish? It seems when ever I have even numbers of fish, they are more shy but with odd numbers, they are more active. Fact or am I seeing a behavior that isn't there?

Meant this to be a new question. not a reply:oops:

Tazman 05-08-2012 08:45 PM

In answer to your first question, the filter as long as it breaks the surface of the water for gas exchange it is fine.

Second answer is probably not what you want to hear but a 29g tank is not suitable for the cichlids you have, they also are best kept in groups of 1 male to multiple females (4)as it helps spread aggression from a male harassing a single female when in breeding mode. Males are 99.9% of the time aggressive to other males of the same species and again for the same reason above, a 29g tank is not suitable.

A 29g tank does not have a lot of room to allow a fish to escape should it be harassed.

russp 05-08-2012 08:53 PM

It actually started with 6 chiclids but I was able to place the two red zebras in a larger tank at my wife's hospital, now I just have two blue zebra and two yellow labs. Found out my doctors office has a large (100+) tank with mostly blue zebras. He's checking to see who maintains it and I may be able to place the blues there, then I just have to find a home for the labs. Glad I haven't had to just destroy them. Fortunately, I think I have 1 male blue and the other 3 female so at least they are getting along for now.

Tazman 05-08-2012 09:03 PM

:thumbsup:

thekoimaiden 05-08-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russp (Post 1074259)
Has anyone else found it better to keep an odd number of similar fish? It seems when ever I have even numbers of fish, they are more shy but with odd numbers, they are more active. Fact or am I seeing a behavior that isn't there?

Meant this to be a new question. not a reply:oops:

Oddly enough, I have heard that schooling fish like tetra look best if kept in odd groups. Doesn't really answer your question, but it's food for thought.

About the water level, I think it depends on a lot of things. Do you have fish that need a high level of oxygen like goldfish and hillstream loach? Do you have fish that don't like current such as Betta splendens and gourami? During the summer I lower my water level about a centimeter to allow a little more gas exchange in my goldfish tank, but I also have a tank with fish that like still water. In that tank I make sure the water level is high and the filter flow is baffled.

russp 05-09-2012 07:09 AM

The 10 gallon currently has 3 white clouds, 4 glolite tetras, 1 panda cory and 1 julii cory; need to replace a glolite that died after 4-1/2 years.

Sam Crow 05-09-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russp (Post 1074258)
In both my current aquariums, I keep the water level high enough where the water just flows from the filter into the surface of the aquarium creating just a current. Is this OK or would it be better to lower the water level in the tanks to create more of a water fall?

In my 10g, I just let the water flow to the surface. The space is too small in a 10g to handle too much of a current. In my 29g, I have 2 filters. I keep the water level a little lower to allow for better water movement. I find it makes for a cleaner tank. Just make sure your fish can handle the current.

Quote:

Originally Posted by russp (Post 1074259)

It is MUCH better to keep fish in odd numbers. I've absolutely found that to be true without exception.

jennesque 05-09-2012 12:05 PM

My LFS suggests stocking in odd numbers when adding a school of fish. They said it's not required but that fish are usually happier with an odd number because they can't gang up on each other - there will always be one extra. I think I recall maybe Byron saying the same sort of thing.

AbbeysDad 05-10-2012 08:12 AM

De ja vous from another thread. You need some surface turbulence for gas exchange and general circulation - but not too much unless you have river fish.

As for schooling fish, generally more is better and I don't think they do a head count for odd - even. :-)