Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Bacopa melting? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/bacopa-melting-100915/)

Olympia 05-08-2012 04:57 PM

Bacopa melting?

My bacopa leaves are slowly melting from the bottom up the stem. It's been going on since I bought it... Is it normal for bacopa to melt?
It's growing new leaves at a decent rate.
Also, I bought it cause I read it's low maintenance. It's leaves are kind of reddish, the new growth is green. Did I buy some red species that is higher maintenance?
Posted via Mobile Device

Geomancer 05-08-2012 05:53 PM

Almost all stem plants will do that unless you have bright lights. They won't loose leaves all the way to the top, they just loose the lower ones. The plant will only keep the leaves getting the most light. You can hide the bare stems behind driftwood, a smaller midground plant, or other decorations.

You can also trim off the bare part and replant. Stem plants can be cut light that, they get most their nutrients from the leaves.

The same goes for red plants. They'll turn green if not kept under bright lighting.

Olympia 05-08-2012 06:01 PM

As long as it's not dying all the way. That makes total sense though. The bacopa has a root system and I don't want to trim it's roots off, whether it needs them or not.
Also explains why my hornwort does the same thing.
Thanks. :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Geomancer 05-09-2012 06:21 AM

They'll stop growing vertically for a bit after being cut while they re-establish themselves, but they won't die. Cutting the tops on most stem plants and leaving the bottoms will cause the plant to send off two stems. That's how you get a more bushy look to stem plants. You can take that top portion you cut off and replant it elsewhere, and is the most common way to propagate stem plants.

So it depends on what look you are going for, but eventually you will have to trim them as they'll just keep growing until eventually you have no leaves in the water =) They'll either spread across the surface, or actually break the surface and keep growing up.

kafkabeetle 05-12-2012 12:45 AM

Yup, totally normal. I actually just let mine stay leggy at the very bottom with no leaves (the very bottom ones will die no matter what anyway) and for the most part keep it covered up with foreground plants. When they get tall enough that they start going above the water I trim them about halfway down, and replant the tops. You can throw them away if you don't have space in the tank. It usually takes about a week (for me) for a new stem to grow. It comes out of the side of the stem, but I haven't been able to get them to shoot off more than one new stem yet. I agree that it would be a shame to lose all those healthy roots by trimming the bottoms off.

Taniner 05-12-2012 01:37 AM

What type of substrate are you using and are you dosing ferts?