Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Mandarin Gobi looks skinny? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/mandarin-gobi-looks-skinny-100908/)

Gerbo 05-08-2012 04:07 PM

Mandarin Gobi looks skinny?

I have a 38g Nuvo Aquarium. It has 4 fish currently, 2 clowns, a banggai cardinal, and a mandarin gobi. The tank has been setup since January and has been doing great. I have about 6 coral frags currently also. My question though is about the gobi. I bought him on sale and he was the healthiest and prettiest one at the LFS. I've had him a month and I have bought bags of live brineshrimp and tigerpods (I think is how it's spelled) for his food supply and I also have another little -pod for the shrimp, it's kind of hard to explain exactly how it all works. It's neat because it makes a little food chain in there all for him is the best way to describe it! The problem is that he obviously won't eat the frozen food and so I have no idea if/when he eats. He does look skinny, but would he have starved by now?

Reefing Madness 05-08-2012 05:38 PM

He won't eat the frozen food. Gotta be Live PODS.
Buy Live Copepods - Feed Your Fish! Ocean Pods(TM)

Gerbo 05-08-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1074027)
He won't eat the frozen food. Gotta be Live PODS.
Buy Live Copepods - Feed Your Fish! Ocean Pods(TM)

Yeah I have live pods, I just don't see him eating ever.

Reefing Madness 05-08-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerbo (Post 1074049)
Yeah I have live pods, I just don't see him eating ever.

Sorry, I got confused when you said frozen food in your post above. They will pick at the substrate all day. You should him stabbing at the substrate very often in just watching him for a few minutes.

Gerbo 05-08-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1074214)
Sorry, I got confused when you said frozen food in your post above. They will pick at the substrate all day. You should him stabbing at the substrate very often in just watching him for a few minutes.

Originally I did, but lately he hasn't been? He rarely climbs around anymore?

Reefing Madness 05-09-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerbo (Post 1074218)

:sob:

Gerbo 05-09-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1074714)
:sob:

uhhh......?

reefsahoy 05-09-2012 03:11 PM

Mandarin gobies need lots of live rocks and sand wIth lots of Natural prey in and around them. They should typically be kept in a large tank, else they will eventually run out of food and starve to death. The best type of food for them is natural and a refugium is the best way to keep the natural food plentyful in your aquarium otherwise you will have to feed different types of algagen reefpods.

Reefing Madness 05-09-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerbo (Post 1074218)

The outcome does not look good.

BarbH 05-09-2012 08:40 PM

Do you have a refugium for the pods to reproduce in without being eaten? A mandarin can finish off a pod population in your main tank very quickly if they do not have a safe place to reproduce in. Did you do anything before adding the mandarin to make sure that you had enough pods? Some will take prepared foods, but that is not a guarentee.
Posted via Mobile Device