Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New 30 gal tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-30-gal-tank-10088/)

marinebiologist21 12-17-2007 06:11 PM

New 30 gal tank

Today I bought a 2nd hand thirty gallon tank,
they didn't clean it very well.. has some grime on top and the decorations are tank is still wet, but I'm not taking chances.
I'm stripping the tank and cleaning it with warm water and salt, throwing away the decorations, and getting rid of filter, and buying a bio-wheel.
However, I plan to go for a natural-themed, community peace tank.

1. Is stripping necessary?
2. What fish should I get?

Also, they sold me some blue-ish rock that kinda looks like it dissolves, and it's kinda on a plastic tube.
What is it? O.O
Thanks.

Falina 12-17-2007 06:17 PM

Do you have a photo of the rock? If you think it might dissolve I wouldn't chance it because who knows what it might leach.

A good clean with warm water and salt should do the trick.

Tetras, rasboras, cories, guppies, rams? Are there any fish in particular that you think you might like that we can work the stock list around?

Lupin 12-17-2007 06:19 PM

If the filter is still wet, you can use the old filter media as it may have bacteria in it to cycle the tank. Buy fish after your tank has cycled. Is the filter still working well?

marinebiologist21 12-17-2007 06:21 PM

I adore bettas, so we'll work around that.
And the filter runs fine, and I think Bacteria may be good.
Thanks.

Falina 12-17-2007 06:27 PM

Then you would have the choice of one male, or a group of females, maybe 6 for the top levels. I would go for a shoal of 6-8 cories for the bottom. You could try some tetras or rasboras for the mid-top levels. Or some FEMALE guppies of some platties as well. Just bear in mind that bettas, male or female, can be unpredictable with other top-mid dwelling fish. Be sure not to mix them with naything that will nip at them, or anything that could be seen as a threat, like a male guppy with his fancy tail. An ancistrus plec is anohter option for you as well.

marinebiologist21 12-17-2007 06:38 PM

what about:

7 cories
1 bettas
and 2 gouramis
with 4 peaceful tetras?

Falina 12-17-2007 06:43 PM

The bioload seems fine but a few problems with compatability.

Bettas and gourams together is usually not a good option because of agression and because they both occupy the same levels of the tank so even in a well planted tank, there is little room to establish territories.

Tetras should be kept in shoald of 6 or more for them to be happiest. The larger the shoal the less likely they are to nip as well. What species of tetra were you thinking about?

marinebiologist21 12-17-2007 06:48 PM

Would Neon tetras be okay?
also, if not gouramis, what?

also there is alot of bettas-specific meds.
would that be ok to use witht the othe rfish?

Falina 12-17-2007 06:53 PM

Neons would probably be fine. A lot of people have had this combination with no problems however I just wanted to let you know, there is always the chance with bettas that they will not get on with non-bottom dwelling fish. I had a betta who ate my neons. It is unlikely but it could happen.

Add the betta last - this makes agression from him least likely.

Bettas are usually more sensitive to meds than other fish so the meds suitable for them will be suitable for many fish. Read the bottle before you add anything as some scaless fish can be sensitive. If you're unsure post and we'll be happy to help if we can.

marinebiologist21 12-17-2007 07:35 PM

Okay, thankyou.
I can now have a nice, colorful tank. :)
Cories, Tetras, and Betta. :)
one more fishiiie.
;) thanks.