Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Tiger Barb compatibility question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/tiger-barb-compatibility-question-100824/)

whundt 05-07-2012 06:12 PM

Tiger Barb compatibility question

Hi. I'm currently cycling a 40 gallon tank, and I'm planning on having 8 Tiger Barbs in it. I've read/heard that if that many barbs are in a tank, their aggression is kept within their group and not directed towards other fish. With that in mind, I'm thinking about what other fish to add to the tank. I won't be adding all of these, but these are the species I'm considering (probably 5 or 6 of one of these species): Black Skirted tetras, Lamp Eye tetras, Zebra Danios, Black Phantom tetras, Buenos Aires tetras, Red-Blue tetras. Has anyone had experience with the compatibility of these with Tiger Barbs? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Jayy 05-07-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whundt (Post 1072689)
Hi. I'm currently cycling a 40 gallon tank, and I'm planning on having 8 Tiger Barbs in it. I've read/heard that if that many barbs are in a tank, their aggression is kept within their group and not directed towards other fish. With that in mind, I'm thinking about what other fish to add to the tank. I won't be adding all of these, but these are the species I'm considering (probably 5 or 6 of one of these species): Black Skirted tetras, Lamp Eye tetras, Zebra Danios, Black Phantom tetras, Buenos Aires tetras, Red-Blue tetras. Has anyone had experience with the compatibility of these with Tiger Barbs? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

What you've planned will work. Keeping them in groups of 8+ will help them spread out they aggression, like you stated. Any of the fish you listed should work.

Misomie 05-07-2012 11:13 PM

Agreed. Also, make sure you have the genders balanced to one male to two females (or three). So maybe up the barb count to three males and six females to further eliminate issues (the guys will duke it out, but the odd number will prevent bullying of a weaker male).

I have kept Tigers with danios myself and they worked out pretty well. Only one young barb tried to catch them and one day he caught a danio off guard. The danio's reaction was hilarious as he whipped around and chased the little guy. XD (I wish I got that on film. :P)

As long as the fish can fend for itself from the barbs it should be fine.

Byron 05-08-2012 12:02 PM

A couple of the named species should never be included in a tank with Tiger Barb, and some others attain a fair size which will need a larger tank if they are included with the TB. I'll assume the TB are definite.

Black Phantom Tetra are not compatible with any barbs. This tetra, like all those in the Rosy clade of Hyphessobrycon, is quiet and sedate. Barb are quite the opposite, all species are active, as are the common danio species, so this alone is not a good match. And the extended fins of the Tetra will almost certainly get nipped by TB.

The other tetra might work in a larger tank, but within the confines of a 40g (presumably 3-feet in length?) a decent group of TB (minimum 8 as has been mentioned to hopefully control their feistiness) is going to own most of the space, and some of the other Tetra get large, 2-3 inches for some. Either of them on their own, with a group of 8-9, would be fine in this tank. All are in our profiles with data on size, tank size, etc.

Of the fish named, in the 40g with TB, Zebra Danio are the best, and a group of 8-9.

Byron.