Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Amano Shrimp FTW!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/amano-shrimp-ftw-100801/)

TheAngryAadvark 05-07-2012 02:20 PM

Amano Shrimp FTW!!!

I've been having a horrible time with hair algae for a while now .. I finally went to my local LFS and they said that the amano shrimp will take care off them . So i got myself 6 of them and two bamboo shrimp cause i heard they like feeding off of diatoms and such, plus they're they look kinda like mini crayfish and they cant harm anything cause they don't have claws, they're filter feeders.

So hardly a minutes gone by since i dumped them in when the amano's start tearing up the hair algae just obliterate it ! 5 mins later half of my 6inch sword is hair algae free haha! i was so happy i jumped around and **** lols.

Anyway if anyone has any problems with hair algae or brush algae these buggers are the best period.

I'M SO HAPPY !!:redyay::crazy:

sparkyjoe 05-08-2012 03:19 AM

Woot! I bought a crypt from my lfs and didn't notice it was already pretty covered in hair algae. The one pond snail in the tank is going ok, but maybe I'll try an amano.
Posted via Mobile Device

Inga 05-08-2012 05:50 AM

That is great news. I was always afraid of getting them because I had heard that they would eat the plants when all the algae is gone. Maybe I could rent one for awhile? ha ha

Olympia 05-08-2012 05:57 AM

They are Mr Amano's favourite shrimp- would he use them if they damage plants?
I'm picking up a pair if I find some too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Inga 05-08-2012 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1073322)
They are Mr Amano's favourite shrimp- would he use them if they damage plants?
I'm picking up a pair if I find some too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sure, if he had the option of moving them from tank to tank. If they never run out of algae to clean, they would never be an issue with the plants. Yes, I am paranoid where the plants are concerned. ha ha

PRIMESIX 05-08-2012 06:50 AM

I just purchased a couple of True Siamese algae eaters and they took care of my hair algae in less than a weeks time. I tried everything before I purchased them and I just could not get rid of that hair algae. Not only do they eat they Hair Algae but they are a fun fish to watch and a great addition to your tank if you have the space...

Inga 05-08-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRIMESIX (Post 1073339)
I just purchased a couple of True Siamese algae eaters and they took care of my hair algae in less than a weeks time. I tried everything before I purchased them and I just could not get rid of that hair algae. Not only do they eat they Hair Algae but they are a fun fish to watch and a great addition to your tank if you have the space...

I feel like I am playing devils advocate here but... Siamese Algae eaters grow larger then say, Oto's. They can be quite aggressive with other fish and can kill fish much larger then themselves by sucking on them and not letting go. Keep a close eye on those guys.