Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   What fish do i have, and is she pregnant? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/what-fish-do-i-have-she-100798/)

Xaqua 05-07-2012 02:35 PM

What fish do i have, and is she pregnant?

2 Attachment(s)
I received a fish from a friend not so long ago, however i do not know its name. Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures, using laptop camera. Will add more later if possible.
Its the yellow and black fish in the video
I can tell its a female from its fins
I have also noticed that my fish is getting bullied or nipped by a dalmatian molly I have in the tank. the dalmatian is a male. I therefore think that my fish is pregnant. I do not know what to do, when the fish is going to give birth
Its not easy to see the fish in the video unfortunately
THE VIDEO
Attachment 54377
Attachment 54378

jaysee 05-07-2012 02:37 PM

That;s one of the new mollies they have at petsmart now.

Xaqua 05-07-2012 02:49 PM

but is she pregnant?

Xaqua 05-07-2012 03:06 PM

anyone? is she pregnant?

snoopy65 05-07-2012 03:51 PM

She looks to be a very pregnant balloon molly to me

rhymon78 05-07-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaqua (Post 1072436)
anyone? is she pregnant?

If it is a livebearer, and its not a male, chances are its pregnant. the only way to avoid this is to get them sexed when purchasing them, and only buy males. could have dozens of little fish soon, this would be a nightmare for me and cannot really offer any advice on what to do about it. sorry.

Termato 05-07-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaqua (Post 1072436)
anyone? is she pregnant?

Yes she is def pregnant. She is a Balloon Molly

I would expect babies anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks.

What size tank do you have?

Xaqua 05-07-2012 06:06 PM

a 10 gallon. I am going to try to somehow get a new tank or a new home for them.

Termato 05-07-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaqua (Post 1072679)
a 10 gallon. I am going to try to somehow get a new tank or a new home for them.

Local Fish Stores....not PetSmart or PetCo.

Those are great places to ask. Alot will accept donations. You should check any around you.

Geomancer 05-08-2012 09:58 AM

You'll want to upgrade your tank, or return the fish if you are in the 14 day window, a 10 gallon is too small for even a single full grown Molly.

You can read up on the profile for the Common Molly by clicking the shaded name. Females in particular get quite large, upwards of 5 to 6 inches in length.

As mentioned, if males and females are present, you will have a constant stream of fry, the females will give birth repeatedly every 4-6 weeks or so. They are live bearers, so there will be no eggs in the tank. If nothing is done to save the fry, they'll likely get eaten by the others, but since there are so many at least one is bound to survive eventually and you'll end up with more and more fish. They breed like mice ;) All live bearers are like this.