Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   30g, need help stocking (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/30g-need-help-stocking-100733/)

Gerbo 05-06-2012 07:57 PM

30g, need help stocking

Hi I have a new 30g tank, its a taller one, not column, but like 18 inches tall.
So anyway, I need some help stocking it. I have 2 gold tinfoils I'm putting in it for a few months until they outgrow it then they're going in a 75g. I want to build it around them and I'm hoping to have 8-10 fish in it. I want a catfish, too, and I was thinking a silver-tipped shark, but I don't think that work for more than 6-12 months. So any suggestions help. Just based around the 2 gold tinfoils and a catfish (oh and not like a Cory catfish, I don't like them).

Thanks!

Byron 05-06-2012 08:13 PM

From what I can find, the "Golden" Tinfoil Barb is a variant of the species Barbonymus schwanenfeldii. If this is the fish, it will need a 7-foot 200g tank at minimum, and it grows quite quickly to around 14 inches. Being active, it need space to swim. And it should be in a group of 6 as it is a shoaling fish.

Confined to a 30g will cause trouble as the fish grows. Growth is a continual process, and if the space and water conditions are not adequate throughout, stunting can occur. And being only two, social problems could occur; shoaling fish need a group to properly interact according to the species. When this is denied them, they often either become so stressed they don't last, or they turn more aggressive our of frustration.

Also not sure which species of "shark" you mean. The Silvertip is a marine fish.

We have fish profiles, under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top. Several "sharks" are included, under the Cyprinids. You can also see more info on the barb, the name above shaded so you can click on that for its profile.

Byron.

Gerbo 05-06-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1071663)
From what I can find, the "Golden" Tinfoil Barb is a variant of the species Barbonymus schwanenfeldii. If this is the fish, it will need a 7-foot 200g tank at minimum, and it grows quite quickly to around 14 inches. Being active, it need space to swim. And it should be in a group of 6 as it is a shoaling fish.

Confined to a 30g will cause trouble as the fish grows. Growth is a continual process, and if the space and water conditions are not adequate throughout, stunting can occur. And being only two, social problems could occur; shoaling fish need a group to properly interact according to the species. When this is denied them, they often either become so stressed they don't last, or they turn more aggressive our of frustration.

Also not sure which species of "shark" you mean. The Silvertip is a marine fish.

We have fish profiles, under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top. Several "sharks" are included, under the Cyprinids. You can also see more info on the barb, the name above shaded so you can click on that for its profile.

Byron.

Silver-tipped shark is a common name. Just type it on on google and you'll see what it is on the first link. They sell them at petsmart. Also, we have two 6-inch tinfoils in a 56g. They've been there, as a pair, for 4 years and never been aggressive and 4 years is a decent lenght. They stopped growing after 2 years so putting inch long ones in a 30g for a few months sounds okay. I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think the groups of 6 in a 200g? It just isn't necessary. I might be new here because I was looking for some help on a couple things, like stocking this tank, but all I'm getting is criticized everytime I post...? I've been doing this for awhile, I feel okay doing it:-D I'd be happy to keep you updated on our older pair and the new one if you'd like?? I thank you for your concern, but like I said, I feel okay doing it as I've done it successfully before.

Byron 05-06-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerbo (Post 1071691)
Silver-tipped shark is a common name. Just type it on on google and you'll see what it is on the first link. They sell them at petsmart. Also, we have two 6-inch tinfoils in a 56g. They've been there, as a pair, for 4 years and never been aggressive and 4 years is a decent lenght. They stopped growing after 2 years so putting inch long ones in a 30g for a few months sounds okay. I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think the groups of 6 in a 200g? It just isn't necessary. I might be new here because I was looking for some help on a couple things, like stocking this tank, but all I'm getting is criticized everytime I post...? I've been doing this for awhile, I feel okay doing it:-D I'd be happy to keep you updated on our older pair and the new one if you'd like?? I thank you for your concern, but like I said, I feel okay doing it as I've done it successfully before.

Well, the first site I checked indicates this shark attains 24 inches; no 2-foot fish will work in a 75g tank so this also needs a 7-foot or better. Petsmart sell several fish that have no place in a home aquarium, as many other threads here will attest.

When you ask a question the response you will get from most of us will be sound and bearing the fish's best health in mind. That is all I am interested in, and I'm sorry if that disagrees with your thinking. I won't waste my time further.

Gerbo 05-06-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1071730)
Well, the first site I checked indicates this shark attains 24 inches; no 2-foot fish will work in a 75g tank so this also needs a 7-foot or better. Petsmart sell several fish that have no place in a home aquarium, as many other threads here will attest.

When you ask a question the response you will get from most of us will be sound and bearing the fish's best health in mind. That is all I am interested in, and I'm sorry if that disagrees with your thinking. I won't waste my time further.

I understand it's best for them, but they can thrive in smaller aquariums. The way you guys come off makes it sound like it's THE only way. But thanks anyway.

Quantum 05-06-2012 08:58 PM

the silver tip shark is also called Colombian Shark, it gets to be about 14" in length and needs to be transitioned from fresh to brackish to full marine as it ages

Olympia 05-06-2012 09:02 PM

Columbian shark doesn't sound like a good idea for a freshwater tank.
The tinfoil barbs are huge fish, and need huge groups for security, maybe at minimum 125 gallons. Bigger is always better.

Sam Crow 05-07-2012 01:33 AM

This isn't really an answer to the gentleman's question, but I'm of the opinion that only small, non-aggressive fish should be kept in a 30 or less tank size. But that's just me and my own personal taste/opinion.

I will soon be adding a new, larger tank. If my wife has her way, it's going to feature fish like a Black Ghost Knife or an Elephant Nose (one or the other, but NOT both). We are researching the appropriate fish to go along with our "centerpiece" fish. We got some great advice from a local fish guru. He said to find one fish that you absolutely love and really want. Once you know that, then you fill the rest of the tank with appropriate tank mates (which he will help us find).

rhymon78 05-07-2012 05:07 AM

It is safe to say if you ask a question on here that raises red flags, your going to get one of two responses..

You'll either receive sound advice from many of the very experienced and knowledgable senior members of this site, or you'll get responses that you don't want to hear.

Either way these people are trying to help you, but ultimately the main concern it the fish and its welfare.

Getting defensive about an idea you have, when all of the factual evidence points in the opposite direction isn't really helpful to anyone, and if your just going to carry on doing what you want anyway, why ask for advice?

Gerbo 05-07-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymon78 (Post 1072040)
It is safe to say if you ask a question on here that raises red flags, your going to get one of two responses..

You'll either receive sound advice from many of the very experienced and knowledgable senior members of this site, or you'll get responses that you don't want to hear.

Either way these people are trying to help you, but ultimately the main concern it the fish and its welfare.

Getting defensive about an idea you have, when all of the factual evidence points in the opposite direction isn't really helpful to anyone, and if your just going to carry on doing what you want anyway, why ask for advice?

I only plan on keeping them there for a few months. I have a 75g right now I want them in when they'll be big enough to not be picked on and my friend is giving me a 125g long soon. So I just was looking for other fish to go in it, not to be told what I'm doing wrong...