Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   flourescent vs standard bulbs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/flourescent-vs-standard-bulbs-100707/)

marshallsea 05-06-2012 02:12 PM

flourescent vs standard bulbs

i bought a 20gal and it came with a flourescent hood. i have 3 platys 4 platy fry 4 neon swordtail fry. i did not like the flourescent set up. last night after lights out , i took my hood apart and replaced light with incandescent set up. my fish look healthier, have richer color. and all the fry are now schooling together. they all seem happier and less stressed. but i am new to this so take it with a grain of salt.

Byron 05-06-2012 03:23 PM

You might have achieved the same thing with just a new tube. The colour temperature, called Kelvin, determines the hue that a light will cast in the aquarium. Those of us with planted tanks have looked into this thoroughly since plants will do better under certain spectrum and kelvin is associated.

The fluorescent tubes that come with most fixtures are high in the red and blue and cast a purplish hue which distorts fish colours although it usually heightens red and/or blue depending upon the spectral phosphors. Incandescent bulbs of the "old fashioned" type were always "warm" with a Kelvin below 5000K. You can now get CFL (compact fluorescent) bulbs with varying K and they use much less energy so they are more efficient, plus they give off much less heat. If you now have incandescent (screw-in) sockets you should look at CFL to save heat and money. Those with a 6500K, usually termed daylight or bright daylight, will render fish colours true as they are close to the sun.

Byron.

marshallsea 05-06-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1071324)
You might have achieved the same thing with just a new tube. The colour temperature, called Kelvin, determines the hue that a light will cast in the aquarium. Those of us with planted tanks have looked into this thoroughly since plants will do better under certain spectrum and kelvin is associated.

The fluorescent tubes that come with most fixtures are high in the red and blue and cast a purplish hue which distorts fish colours although it usually heightens red and/or blue depending upon the spectral phosphors. Incandescent bulbs of the "old fashioned" type were always "warm" with a Kelvin below 5000K. You can now get CFL (compact fluorescent) bulbs with varying K and they use much less energy so they are more efficient, plus they give off much less heat. If you now have incandescent (screw-in) sockets you should look at CFL to save heat and money. Those with a 6500K, usually termed daylight or bright daylight, will render fish colours true as they are close to the sun.

Byron.

thanks byron once again you've steered me in the right direction.