Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   NEW TANK! Sort of.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-tank-sort-10067/)

Polina 12-16-2007 07:53 PM

NEW TANK! Sort of..

Hi guys! My Mom's drama studio has other people working for her, and there was this science class and they had an aquarium that they hadn't used for a while, it was used to hold snails before for an experiment but they took them all out and they hadn't used the aquarium for a while so when I saw it as an opportunity for my Betta Fish to finally spread it's fins, I asked them for it and they let me have it. So I lugged it home and began cleaning it by taking handfuls of the gravel that came in the aquarium (not with my hands, a jar) and I managed to clean some of it. Then I cleaned the tank with a paper towel, there was a lot of dirt (not actual dirt, a few tiny twigs and little pieces of grime or something) so it looked pretty clean to me. Then, I poured all of the gravel back into the aquarium and filled it up with water. Then I noticed there was STILL "dirt" floating around, so I took a cup (that my family never uses) and started to fish out the dirt (no pun intended), for now it looks pretty clean in the aquarium. There are still very few TEENSY pieces of "dirt" floating around, but my Betta is too occupied exploring her new home. After I read a few posts in the Freshwater Aquarium section, I realized that a lot of people recommended boiling lots of stuff. Then I remembered that this whole process took me 3 hours while it could've really taken half an hour, boiling all the gravel. I don't know how to tell if my Betta likes her new home, I've been having second thoughts about keeping her in the aquarium. Should I move her back to her 1 gallon tank? Should I boil everything the next time I clean the aquarium? Please help, I want my Betta to be happy and live a happy life. Below is the picture of the new aquarium and the old one.
Thanks,
Polina

http://fishforum.com/userpix/4185_Picture_137_1.jpg
(On the right of the new aquarium is my Betta's old one, a 1 gallon.)
It didn't say how many gallons it was on the tank so I used an Allens Apple Juice container, it was 1.2 L, and my brother told me that a gallon is 3.6 L and 1.2 x 3 = 3.6 so I kept on pouring until I reached the amount I wanted which was 4 containers worth. Then I multiplied 7 (the amount of drops of conditioner per gallon) and multiplied it by 4, which got me 28. So I had used 28 drops of conditioner.

herefishy 12-16-2007 08:18 PM

Great job. Sometimes one just has to rely on pure luck in acquiring a "new" tank. Welcome to the forum. I hope you have found a home here.

One should never boil used gravel unless you are intending to disinfect the gravel. By boiling the gravel, you destroy the beneficial de-nitifying bacteria and are forced to re-seed and recycle the tank. If you find it necessary to clean the gravel, rinse it with cool/warm water, preferraby at atank temperture. This will rinse any debris away without destroying the bacteria.

Little-Fizz 12-16-2007 09:04 PM

Looking good! I promise your Betta loves it's new home. Next time just use a rag and give it a good wipe down with hot/warm water. But it's not a big deal because the tank doesn't looking dirty or anything. your lucky! Theres a few tanks at my school I wish I could just take home with me. But they all have fish in them... As well as green water :? anyways I won't go on any longer. Keep it up, you might want to look into a filter and a heater also (sorry if you have these things I just didn't see it in the pic) Good luck!!!

Falina 12-16-2007 11:15 PM

It's great that you've given her a bigger new home.

Just keep an eye on the water parameters since you didn't cycle the tank (I'm assuming you didn't since you posted only a few days ago about wanting to get a new tank for her).

I think she will be much happier in her new home. :)

Polina 12-17-2007 03:44 PM

Heater and Filter

Hi, it's me again. Little-Fizz mentioned something about a heater and filter. I was thinking of buying these, but don't Betta Fish like calm waters? I heard they don't like current. How often do you have to clean the 4 gallon tank with a filter? How often do I have clean the 4 gallon tank without a filter?
Thanks,
Polina

Falina 12-17-2007 04:54 PM

Depending on your room temperature you may or may not need a heater. Bettas require a temeprature in the high 70s.

You would be best buying a small filter that does not have a string flow. They help keep the tank clean but also help keep it cycled as most of the beneficial bacteria lives in the filter.

Little-Fizz 12-17-2007 04:54 PM

Re: <span style=

I'm not really sure about how often you would have to clean it. I clean my tanks a lot. Like 2 times a week. How often do you clean now? If you could get a filter with a weak current... I think like ones used for fry tanks. That would be perfect. But most importantly you need a heater.

Polina 12-20-2007 10:00 PM

Don't be scared..

Hmm, ever since I put my fish into the new tank, she's been getting kind of freaked out every time I go up to the tank to feed her. In her 1 gallon tank, she wasn't like this and serenely swam up to the pellets and ate, but now she just nabs the pellets and quickly darts away. I've been told she was pregnant in a previous topic, is this related to pregnancy? Or still getting adjusted to the new tank which i put up about a week ago?
Thanks,
Polina.

Falina 12-20-2007 10:09 PM

Bettas are often very enthusiastic feeders. It could just be that she now has the space to dart about? Otherwise I think she is just getting used to the tank.

Jasey 12-20-2007 10:53 PM

If you get a filter for your tank, I highly recommend getting one with an adjustable flow rate (it will say on the box). I have a 2.5 gallon tank and I initially got a filter with no adjustable flow rate, and the current was too much for my fish. I had to get a new filter. I got the AquaClear 20 (for 5-20 gallon tanks), and I keep it on minimum flow and have no problems.

Also, I use the TopFin 25 Watt heater, for tanks up to 5 gallons. Just thought I'd give these suggestions because I have a small tank too, in case you decide to get a heater and/or filter. :) Good luck.