Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Guppy breeding thread (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/guppy-breeding-thread-100635/)

Assault0137 05-05-2012 08:01 PM

Guppy breeding thread

experts, unload all of your wise knowledge upon us young novices!

MarinePsycho 05-05-2012 08:06 PM

Ask a question, I'l answer it :3

Tazman 05-07-2012 09:34 AM

You need to ask a question for someone to be able to answer it using their knowledge.

I could unload all my knowledge of being a professional lighting technician and touring with bands but this would have absolutely no relevance to keeping fish :-)

GreyHounD 05-11-2012 07:53 PM

How do I know if my guppy's are ready for breeding? and should I keep it 3:1 ration? 3 female and 1 male?

I really don't know how to look/estimate the age of fishes I just check their length and sometimes its wrong, cause I can't get the right measurement.

Assault0137 05-11-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyHounD (Post 1077666)
How do I know if my guppy's are ready for breeding? and should I keep it 3:1 ration? 3 female and 1 male?

I really don't know how to look/estimate the age of fishes I just check their length and sometimes its wrong, cause I can't get the right measurement.

Why does size matter with age? They do not grow once they mature, so... Anyway, you can tell if a fish is young. It is something you know, not you tell.
I am of no help...
Posted via Mobile Device

MarinePsycho 05-12-2012 08:16 PM

2 females to every male is what I do. But I would get all males or all females because guppies breed like mice, and I believe some live-bearers can store sperm for a couple of months.

Also, size doesn't mean anything, most guppies you buy from Petstores are already sexually mature.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreyHounD 05-13-2012 07:11 AM

I bought them from a breeder exactly right out of a breeding tank? I guess he mixed the adults and young adults together.

The point I check the size is because they are really small and I have no experience with breeding guppy's recently I just successively bred mollly's though the size is what mattered to me..

I have 3 females and 2 males (1 male is very small like 2-3 CM only..)

Thanks for the information!

MarinePsycho 05-13-2012 11:51 AM

That small male is probably a juvenile.

Also, did the tank you got your guppys from have males and females together?
Posted via Mobile Device

GreyHounD 05-13-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinePsycho (Post 1079582)
That small male is probably a juvenile.

Also, did the tank you got your guppys from have males and females together?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, it males and female's in the tank. Though the guppy's as the breeder said he did not even need to feed them just left them to eat the algae and that I wouldn't need a filter/air pump since their guppy's are self-sufficient.?

I don't even use a filter though my tank is getting a bit dirty..

Assault0137 05-13-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyHounD (Post 1079738)
Yes, it males and female's in the tank. Though the guppy's as the breeder said he did not even need to feed them just left them to eat the algae and that I wouldn't need a filter/air pump since their guppy's are self-sufficient.?

I don't even use a filter though my tank is getting a bit dirty..

who is your "breeder'? to him, guppies are possesions, not animals. you need a filter and heater.