Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   The perfect catfish for a 125gal? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/perfect-catfish-125gal-100615/)

CinBos 05-05-2012 05:01 PM

The perfect catfish for a 125gal?

I have been looking everywhere for a catfish that does not require brackish water, and is the perfect size for a 125 gallon aquarium. I'm not looking for one that gets upwards around 2 ft, just one that stays around 10-12 inches. I have had my eye on a pictus cat, but I'm finding they do not get nearly as big as some descriptions say, closer to 5 inches.

Any suggestions?

thekoimaiden 05-05-2012 05:13 PM

Common pleco get that big. Depending on what you want to house it with, it would be great for that setup. What else will be in the tank?

CinBos 05-05-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoimaiden (Post 1070376)
Common pleco get that big. Depending on what you want to house it with, it would be great for that setup. What else will be in the tank?

My bad, I should have mentioned that Plecos are out of the question. Bought one, realized how much of a mess they made in 2 days, and then returned it. I will be keeping South and Central American Cichlids in the tank.

Andarial 05-05-2012 05:21 PM

Striped Raphael Catfish? Possibly, they only get 6 inches but are considered semi-aggressive and eat anything smaller than themselves usually

CinBos 05-05-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andarial (Post 1070386)
Striped Raphael Catfish? Possibly, they only get 6 inches but are considered semi-aggressive and eat anything smaller than themselves usually

I did see those, and they have caught my eye. But I did also see they they only got around 5-6inches. Is there any catfish with the body style like an ID or Columbian Shark that doesnt require brackish water, and doesnt get 2 feet long?

And before someone mentions it, I do realize that a fish with that girth is going to create waste, just like a Pleco, just prefer something that is a bit more active than a pleco.

CinBos 05-05-2012 06:19 PM

Sorry dont mean to be too picky, just had this specific immage in my head.

Adamson 05-05-2012 10:26 PM

Get a Red Tail man.

thekoimaiden 05-05-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamson (Post 1070743)
Get a Red Tail man.

Red tailed catfish fall into the "tankbuster" category and will need an aquarium in excess of few thousand gallons when fully grown. This is not a good fish for the home aquaria. If Jeremy Wade catches it on River Monsters, it's not a good fish for you to keep. :lol:
Phractocephalus hemioliopterus (Red-tail Catfish) - Seriously Fish
To read more about the tankbuster problem:
Where do all those big fish keep going? | Blog | Practical Fishkeeping
Will you support The Big Fish Campaign? | Blog | Practical Fishkeeping

What about a walking catfish? Just taking a look through our profiles looking for red tailed catfish I found them. Maybe just try typing in "catfish" to our profiles and see what comes up. I've found a bunch of things like that. Or try the advanced search feature at Seriously Fish (Advanced Search - Seriously Fish) You can search by all kinds of things including length and family.

Maxillius 05-06-2012 12:09 AM

Hi the royal farlowella gets 8+ inch and a group of 4 would be perfect for your aquarium as they like to live in groups , they are also excelent cleaners and will eat anything , from flakes to frozen foods to zuccinies they also look awsome! in my aquarium profile its the one on the sword leaf you can probably get better pictures on the net!

Byron 05-06-2012 11:24 AM

Yes, i was thinking in the "Royal" line too. There are larger whiptails (Rineloricaria, the species in our profiles is the smallest and thus suitable for more home aquaria but there are larger) and the Sturisoma (Farlowella-like) species.