Tropical Fish Keeping banner

I FOUND A BABY!!!:):):)

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Little-Fizz 
#1 ·
Alright, I just turned my lights off and I was watching my snail... then I saw something swim past me and I thought maybe I was crazy, but then it happened again. It's definitely a baby. I haven't seen it since but I want to try and raise it... Not in the same tank though. I have two filters running on my 28 gallon, the one was from my ten gallon it was set up sometime in august... If I fill up my ten gallon again and put the filter in it would it be safe for fry like that day? I have no worries if there would be enough bacteria in the filter. But other then the filter everything in the ten gallon has been boiled and completely clean. Um the baby would be a swordtail if that matters. I really want to try and find it right now so someone reply plleeaaaseee!!!!

#3 ·
Um ok, but I don't have a breeding tank and I have a ten gallon right now on me that I could wrap sponge or something around the intake.. So yeah thats not really the problem. I need to know if it matters that the only bacteria I have will be in the filter... and the water will be completely new.. the gravel and decorations too. (Not new, but boiled)

#6 ·
Little-Fizz said:
If I fill up my ten gallon again and put the filter in it would it be safe for fry like that day?
Wrap pantyhose or sponge on the filter intake if it is too strong enough to suck the fry. You can buy a sponge filter anytime to replace your current filter.

#9 ·
Lol sorry I guess I posted in the wrong place? I only posted in the maintaining thing because my question had more to do with the bacteria and starting up my ten gallon again more or so then the baby. But since I am in the breeding section now... I found the baby... Lol only one :? it's cute... But is there any point of keeping it in my ten gallon? I get the feeling I'll never see it again... How will it find food? a 10 gallon with just one fry? Seems crazy. I have a net but I don't know.. I just wanted to keep it in my ten gallon.

#11 ·
Nah... It's either 28 gallons with the moms. Or 10 gallons by itself. Or this little silver bowl I have him sitting in right now. But then temp will drop fast.

#12 ·
yah thats true. if you get a breeding tank they only cost like 5 dollars then you can have him mature in there. you can feed him and everything. HTH.

#13 ·
Ok, I just thought of this. I will fill up the ten gallon. And then I will put the breeding net I have in there until he's a bit bigger. then he can go just in the ten.

#15 ·
Falina said:
He'll be fine in the 10g on his own. If it's a bare tank then you'll be able to see him no bother. The breeding nets don't allow for growth quite like a full tank does and they dn't allow for much circulation. I'm not keen on them as a whole.
Lol good. I decided against the breeding trap last night and he is in the ten gallon. It only has like three rocks a castle and a shell. I didn't spot him as soon as I woke up this morning but I saw him chilling above the heater before I went to be last night... I'm going to look for more fry in the 28 gallon *fingers crossed* :D How would you recommend feeing them? I have those liquid drops but I don't like them... They are always what causes my bad water conditions :x well I think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.