Tropical Fish Keeping banner

how long until birth?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Assault0137 
#1 · (Edited)
i am trying to breed the guppies, but i do not know when to put her into the breeding cage. it is a big one, meant for two fish, but the seperator is removable. when do i put her in? i will update daily if i can keep up with it. today:
EDIT: i just looked at her and the bulge near the front is pretty big.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I read that the gestation period is 21-30 days.... average of 28. However a female can produce fry several times from one mating.
Watch for the lower front of her belly "squaring off", 9she has begun to do that, hiding or hovering in the plants, look for a gravid spot at the lower back above the anal area. This is hard on dark colored fish but is said to be the eyes of the fry showing through her body as she approaches her time.
Some species do not tolerate a birthing box, I've never bred Guppies so can't advise here. But I do know that the fry should be kept in something bigger, at least a 5 gallon. 10g would be better. You will find any fry to be much more active and healthy with more space. Good luck.

Reactions: Assault0137
#3 ·
i know about squaring off but i cant see the difference. i am not new t guppy breeding but i have never seen much squaring.
also /bump

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.