Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Loach for snail infestation? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/loach-snail-infestation-100460/)

dpooja85 05-03-2012 11:36 PM

Loach for snail infestation?

I came back from a two week vacation only to find that one of my guppies is dead and my tank has been infested by ramhorn snails and fewer but still many pond(pouch) snails :-(

I have six neon tetras and one guppy left in my 10g tank. I also have a green hedge, anacharis, anubias, java fern, water sprite in the tank.

This was three days ago. Since then, I have researched online, changed 50% of tank water and put in lettuce overnight hoping for a LOT of snails to be on the leaf when I wake up in the morning. I was thoroughly disappointed and looks like the snails in my tank dont like the lettuce. I found roughly about 10 falling for my trap :-(

Today I come back from work to find that my guppy has given birth to four (up until now) babies. I dont know what to do with the snail infestation. I read that yoyo loaches would be a good idea - but with my limited 10g capacity I am not sure. Added to that is the guppy fry - I dont want them to die, will the yoyo loach eat the babies?

Help!

thekoimaiden 05-03-2012 11:57 PM

Getting a fish to deal with a problem like snails isn't a good idea (especially a yoyo loach as they need a 55 gal or larger tank; click the shaded name for more). Just reduce your feeding for a while, and the snails will have nothing to eat. With your algae problem I would suggest cutting your lights back to less than 6 hours. A timer works great for this. The snails are probably also feeding on your algae. Try manually removing it instead.

Tazman 05-04-2012 12:00 AM

Add a lettuce leaf to the tank overnight and by morning it should be covered in snails. Then you take it out snails on it...You might have to do this several times to have an impact depending on the severity of snail infestation.

Agree that purchasing a fish to control the snail population is not a good idea unless the fish is suitable to be kept in your tank throughout its life once purchased. Which a YoYO Loach is not in your tank size.

JimBinSC 05-04-2012 10:46 PM

Definitely not a good idea to add the loach, especially to a 10. I did just that, added a clown loach for snails in my 29 gallon and I regret it now. The snails were pretty much gone in 2 days but now I have a single loach in a tank that will be too small one day. Not the ideal life for the loach.

jennesque 05-04-2012 11:03 PM

Try manually removing.. or, you could get an assassin snail.. They breed like crazy though too, so you'd probably just want to get one but they'll slowly kill off your snails if you don't have too many already. I use one in my tank as "population control". I also don't have enough room to add something like a loach.