Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Got a few questions.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/got-few-questions-100418/)

Gerbo 05-03-2012 03:03 PM

Got a few questions..

Hi guys, I'm new here and first like to introduce myself. My name is Cody, so hi!

So I have some questions. First, I have a new 75g cichlid setup, it's about 3 weeks old now and I have currently 5 aceis, one labeled 'assorted', a jewel, a mut, a channel catfish, a red-tailed shark, and a featherfin catfish. All the cichlids are about 1.5-2 inches (except the jewel at about 3) and the cats are each 3.5-4ish. I recently found a place to buy baby smallmouth bass so I got one not realizing how much bigger he was. He's around 4-5. Should I worry about him eating anyone and take him out or is he okay?

Also, I have a 10g with 7 fish, 2 gold tinfoil barbs, 2 ram cichlids, 2 tiger barbs, and a blue gourmi. I'm getting a 30g today and I think I should put the tinfoils in it. Should anyone else go?

Any response is appreciated!

Tazman 05-03-2012 03:18 PM

Welcome to the forum first of all :-)

Hate to say it but you have some major problems..

Ok, The channel cat fish is going to have to go unless you intend on getting a 5000g tank anytime soon. Those things get huge.

The small mouthbass is a cold water species again that is going to get to too big for your tank and totally unsuitable for the tropical fish you have. They require a temperature of 68F whereas your cichlids need at least 78-80F.

The Tiger Barb and Tinfoil Barb are also not suitable even for the 30g tank as they will get too big also.
They are also schooling fish and need to be in groups of at least 5.

The fish even though small now are relatively fast growing so you are going to need a much bigger tank, to keep the Tin Foil Barbs alone needs a 125g+ tank.

Sorry...:-(

thekoimaiden 05-03-2012 03:27 PM

Hey Cody! Welcome to the forum. I think you are going to find a lot of answers to your questions if you look at our tropical fish profiles (2nd tab from left). They are filled with information about tank requirements, size, and compatibility. You can also click on any fish name that you see shaded (like this blue gourami) to take you to the fish profile. I know you won't find the bass or channel cat in our profiles, so I'll give you some links to get reading on those.

Channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) ; PlanetCatfish
Ictalurus punctatus, Channel catfish : Fishbase
Micropterus dolomieu, Smallmouth bass : Fishbase
The North American Native Fishes Association

Gerbo 05-03-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1068151)
Welcome to the forum first of all :-)

Hate to say it but you have some major problems..

Ok, The channel cat fish is going to have to go unless you intend on getting a 5000g tank anytime soon. Those things get huge.

The small mouthbass is a cold water species again that is going to get to too big for your tank and totally unsuitable for the tropical fish you have. They require a temperature of 68F whereas your cichlids need at least 78-80F.

The Tiger Barb and Tinfoil Barb are also not suitable even for the 30g tank as they will get too big also.
They are also schooling fish and need to be in groups of at least 5.

The fish even though small now are relatively fast growing so you are going to need a much bigger tank, to keep the Tin Foil Barbs alone needs a 125g+ tank.

Sorry...:-(

Hey I actually already have solutions to all the problems. We have a 56 for the barbs and I know they're schooling fish but we've had 2 for the past 3 years each about a foot long in my dad's tank so I'm putting them in a 56 when they outgrow the 30. For the bass and kittyfish, I have a guy a few hours south who's taking them sometime next year also. Cichlids are staying though!