hi, im new to this so not sure if i'm doing it right. does anyone know how to get rid of Jewel cichlid bloat? x
Welcome to TFK and the forums, we hope you enjoy your experience here first of all.
Bloat is rather difficult to cure and if left untreated will lead to the fishes death.
THIS TREATMENT NEEDS TO START AS SOON AS POSSIBLE TO STAND ANY CHANCE OF WORKING
1. Remove carbon/resins from filter.
2. Perform a 30-50% water change
3. Add salt (teaspoon to a tablespoon per gallon)
4. Treat with 250mg/20gallons of Metronidazole (Flagyl)
5. Leave for 3 days and do not feed.
6. After 3 days, perform another large water change.
7. Replace the salt.
8. Add full dosage of Metronidazole.
9. Wait another 3 days. During this phase, the bloat should be decreasing in appearance. In large fish, the water may take on an ammonia odor from the high volume of urea the fish should now be producing due to reducing the bloat and recovering renal activity.
10. 3rd day, another water change. Also, replace the salt and redose the metronidazole (full dose). If the fish looks to be well on the road to recovery you can offer a small feeding each day.
11. Another water change on the 3rd day. No meds but, I'd recommend the salt.
I hope this works for you.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.