Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   Anyone used a GoPro in their tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/anyone-used-gopro-their-tank-100394/)

Stormfish 05-03-2012 11:16 AM

Anyone used a GoPro in their tank?

Has anyone ever tried using a GoPro HeroHD in their tank? As in, set it up, and actually put it inside? I've used mine to record my dog swimming, but that's about it.

Termato 05-03-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormfish (Post 1067942)
Has anyone ever tried using a GoPro HeroHD in their tank? As in, set it up, and actually put it inside? I've used mine to record my dog swimming, but that's about it.

You should it and post the video!

Tazman 05-03-2012 02:23 PM

It might be somewhat stressful to the fish but yes it would work..would not really recommend it though.

Stormfish 05-04-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1068098)
It might be somewhat stressful to the fish but yes it would work..would not really recommend it though.

Why wouldn't you recommend it? The GoPro is a tiny camera, and operates silently. It would be no more stressful than me sticking my hand in there every day to put fresh veggies in for the Otos.

Termato 05-04-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormfish (Post 1069101)
Why wouldn't you recommend it? The GoPro is a tiny camera, and operates silently. It would be no more stressful than me sticking my hand in there every day to put fresh veggies in for the Otos.

Stress is anything that the fish does not experience normally.

The camera will make the fish scared, curious and act differently then it would if it was not there. Especially if the fish is scared, stress will be created. If you are going to do it, do it once and for not too long.

Byron wrote a great article on stress, it really applies to any element that affects the fish in a way they wouldn't normally behave. In this case an intruder into their home.

If you do take the video, post it so we can see. I bet the fish will run, some might be curious.

rhymon78 05-04-2012 03:18 PM

Do it! I would like to see the footage!

Stormfish 05-04-2012 03:30 PM

I'm betting all the Bleeding Hearts would come up to it for a good look, the Otos would suction themselves to it (LOL), the Rainbow would peck at it, and the frogs would all swim off and hide. Except for the one female. She's a gregarious little thing. :-D

I will do this. Need to charge up the battery on the GoPro.

rhymon78 05-04-2012 03:44 PM

you could set it to the theme tune from jaws......

mysticganja420 05-05-2012 10:12 PM

Sounds like a cool idea, would love to see it myself deff should try it and post pic s :D

doki 05-05-2012 11:30 PM

you should do it.