Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   rotala indica trimming (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/rotala-indica-trimming-100380/)

SinCrisis 05-02-2012 11:02 PM

rotala indica trimming

Hey, does anyone here have experience with rotala indica? I just got some but I am not sure if I can maintain these plants by just trimming the tops off or if I need to pull up the bottoms and replant the tops?

Boredomb 05-02-2012 11:06 PM

I had that plant once and it did well in my tank. I just cut the tops off and left the bottom in the substrate. I did also plant some of the trimmings and those took off as well. It seemed to be an easy plant to grow.

Geomancer 05-03-2012 07:18 AM

You can do either way.

Sometimes with stem plants, the bottom of the stems will get bare, since the upper portion gets more light the plant will not waste the energy on leaves lower down so some people remove the bottom portion to keep it more full looking.

Also, some stem plants when you cut and remove the top will start to branch out, you'll see two new stems form at the node below the cut. It's a way to get a bush effect, my Wisteria is that way.

SinCrisis 05-03-2012 01:47 PM

The branching effect is what I was hoping for. Currently, Im having a lot of trouble getting this plant to stay in the gravel.

Boredomb, when you trimmed the tops away, did the bottom regrow leaves? or did only the new stems grow leaves?

I am hoping to not have to remove the bottoms ever because its very frustrating planning these stems, they like to float.

Boredomb 05-03-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCrisis (Post 1068055)
Boredomb, when you trimmed the tops away, did the bottom regrow leaves? or did only the new stems grow leaves?

The bottom did grow new leaves through often it would branch off like others said.
Though I think that depends on where you cut them at also may make a difference. Example- when I cut them closer to the top I didn't see much of the 'branching out" as I did when I cut them lower in the tank.
I don't how it normally happens with stem plants or that plant that was just my experience.

I also didn't have that hard of a time getting them to stay down in the substrate which at the time was Eco-complete. Some times I found it easier to plant two stems at a time. I would also make a. J - shape out of the stem and shove them down as far as I could and them slowly pull my finger out while pushing the gravel back in.the hole where my finger was. It seem to help keep the plant down.

SinCrisis 05-04-2012 12:53 PM

Ah, that planting technique sounds good, but I can't do it on my tank. The fluval edge is not very active planting friendly. Ive managed to get them to stay down, for now. I trimmed it some more and am using the bottom leaves to help anchor it althouhg i hope it grows roots to anchor itself before those leaves die off. My amano shrimp has been picking at them and causing it to dislodge.

Once they seem established, I want to trim them and create a small bush for the CPDs I just added. Doesn't seem like there is enough plant cover right now for them.

Boredomb 05-04-2012 06:47 PM

Just another thought on getting them to stay down. You could always make the "J" shape or even a "L" and put a rock over it. I did this with another stem plant I had once (I think.it was Wisteria).

SinCrisis 05-05-2012 12:16 AM

I have tried that, they are still coming up. The MTS aren't helping either. I might add substrate to this so I can bury more of the stem. Right now my substrate is only 1inch thick.

Boredomb 05-05-2012 12:35 AM

You know I had read some where that MTSs will only burrow 1" down. Dont know how true that is but I would definitly add more substrate in the tank especially where you want the Rotala at. This might help out a lot. When I planted mine I had it in 3" substrate.

SinCrisis 05-05-2012 12:41 AM

Ah, Ok, will give it a try but I can't add too much. The fluval edge is already limited in space, One inch is already a bit unsighly IMO, so 3 inches in this would look crazy..