Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Is my molly pregnant? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/my-molly-pregnant-100341/)

handziuk 05-02-2012 04:39 PM

Is my molly pregnant?

Here is a link to my picture, please let me know whether she is pregnant or not. molly - 75 gallon Freshwater fish tank

Stormfish 05-02-2012 06:01 PM

She looks VERY pregnant!

Do you have any fine, grass-like plants in the tank? If not, you can pick some fake stuff up meant specifically for the babies to hide in. Otherwise, your Mollies will have a feast when she gives birth.

Here's a link for the product to look for (or something similar):

Afterward, put the babies in a breeding net/box inside the aquarium. They'll need specific food, too. You can ask about that at the fish shop, since it escapes me right now.

handziuk 05-02-2012 09:52 PM

ok so i got baby brine shrimp, mini blood worms, and i crushed up some flakes for when the fry come. do i need to provide a hidding place for the molly to give birth ?? is there any thing i can do to encourage the birth? ie water condition

ps thanks alot for the help people im only 3 months into fish keeping and still have alot to learn

Stormfish 05-03-2012 07:40 AM

You could put her in the baby enclosure to give birth, but she may still eat some of her babies. She would need to be removed right after she's given birth. That may mean an all-nighter watching her since they typically give birth at night.

Btw, baby Mollies are just the cutest thing ever! :-)

handziuk 05-05-2012 11:54 PM

well this morning i got up and found a skinny molly lol and 7 fry :) 2 of the fry i found in my rena xp3 alive !!!
now my silver molly is starting to hide i think she might have some in the next day or two.

Stormfish 05-06-2012 08:11 AM

Yay! Congrats! Aren't they cute? Perfect tiny copies of the parents. :-D

Did you transfer them to the nursery box/net? If not, do so ASAP so they won't get eaten.

SeaHorse 05-06-2012 09:40 AM

is there any thing i can do to encourage the birth? ie water condition

Mollies will drop their fry every 35 days... fyi! Yes you can do a water change on your tank very close to the due date of the next drop but make the temperature a degree or two cooler than your tank currently is. It's like in the wild with a cooling rain shower... brings on the birth of the fry, usually in the early morning hours. That way she does not have to stay in the breeding box very long at all.
Personally I use a fully cycled 10 gal nursery tank for my fry. After you keep them in a net for a week and get the opportunity to give them more space, you will always try to give them more. They immediately become more social and interactive rather than just hovering there looking at each other.
(I actually put Mom into the 10g to drop the fry, then scoop Mom out after. Beats chasing 50+ fry around) Good luck!!!

handziuk 05-07-2012 05:22 PM

well what i did is i let my molly birth in the 75 gallon plantted tank just so i didnt stress her by moving her to a nother tank once the molly gave birth to the fry i put them into a 10x10x6deep nursery net and they are still doing good

i got some nice sword grass for the fry to hide in till i could find them and it worked really well. BUT!!!!!! now i have snails great!!!

my silver molly gave birth too but i was to late i only found 4 fry and she was huge im guessing 20 to 40 fry maybe ... she is still hidding tho could she give birth to a few fry a day kinda thing ??

nawilson89 05-10-2012 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thats wonderful that you at least got some of the fry. After looking at your post I looked at my mollies and noticed they looked a bit like yours. Could these two be pregnant also?

Sam Crow 05-10-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 1071009)
is there any thing i can do to encourage the birth? ie water condition

Mollies will drop their fry every 35 days... fyi! Yes you can do a water change on your tank very close to the due date of the next drop but make the temperature a degree or two cooler than your tank currently is. It's like in the wild with a cooling rain shower... brings on the birth of the fry, usually in the early morning hours. That way she does not have to stay in the breeding box very long at all.
Personally I use a fully cycled 10 gal nursery tank for my fry. After you keep them in a net for a week and get the opportunity to give them more space, you will always try to give them more. They immediately become more social and interactive rather than just hovering there looking at each other.
(I actually put Mom into the 10g to drop the fry, then scoop Mom out after. Beats chasing 50+ fry around) Good luck!!!

A water change always seems to induce labor in my female fish who are close to giving birth. Some fish wait until the water quality is better before they give birth. I've heard some fish will hold in their little brood until they feel the environment is ideal.