Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   What Gouramis (if any) are best with angel fish in a 40 litre tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/what-gouramis-if-any-best-angel-100300/)

justfishingabout 05-02-2012 05:44 AM

What Gouramis (if any) are best with angel fish in a 40 litre tank?

Hi.

I am looking to get advice on what specific fish would go well with Angel fish or Gouramis? I like both Angel Fish and Gouramis but are there any type in specific that go well together in a smaller community tank. My tank from memory will be about 40 litres.

What other specific fish would go well with these fish in a tank?

Any advice will help. :-)

Thanks

Tazman 05-02-2012 08:20 AM

Hate to say it but your tank is way too small to even keep angel fish in, they need a 55g tank or larger and to be in a group of 5-6. Angelfish grow too large to be kept in this tank.

40l is about 10g(US) which restricts what you can keep in the tank.

Am very sorry but none of the fish you inquire about can be kept in this tank :-(

Inga 05-02-2012 08:23 AM

I am sorry to say that a 40 liter tank is not big enough for Angels or Gourami. They both get pretty large and I wouldn't put them in anything less then a 50 gallon tank. You might be able to do Dwarf Gourami in a 25 gallon but I wouldn't go any smaller iwth that either. There are still several types of fish to chose from. Do you know what your water parameters are? Hard or soft etc...

justfishingabout 05-02-2012 02:59 PM

Re Gouramis and Angel Fish

Ok. Thanks. :-)

I am aware they can get bigger and if that happened I was going to look to sell them on. If Angel fish require to be in groups of 6 or more though they are definitely not an option anyway.

What are some brightly coloured/interesting fish that you would recommend for my tank instead? I'm looking to have a variety of different ones. My tank is Tank is length 60 cm and width 30.5 cm and holds approx 50 litres. (sorry got it wrong before).

Olympia 05-02-2012 03:01 PM

That will happen, unless you stunt their bodies by exposing them to toxins from small water area. You should never buy a fish planning to sell it on when it gets too big.

What is you pH and dH in the tank?

justfishingabout 05-02-2012 03:16 PM

Unsure as yet about this sort of thing to do with PH etc. The aquarium is still on layby in the shop so isn't set up yet. :-) i guess the worlds my oyster but whatever is easiest!

The tank will be heated and have a light etc.

The tank is shown in the link below :-)

http://www.fourseasonspets.co.nz/afa...ctdetails.html

Olympia 05-02-2012 03:22 PM

Holy, that's crazy expensive. New Zealand?

I thought you already had fish, sorry.
I'm pretty sure I remember another person from NZ saying they had really soft water.
I'd look into some tetra like ember tetra. There's also Celestial pearl danios, and mosquito rasbora. These are all small fish that do best with a group of just them, but they are so stunning that a group is amazing to look at. Some shrimp or pygmy cories on the bottom would complete it.

thekoimaiden 05-02-2012 03:29 PM

Well for starters you will also need to get an aquarium test kit that tests pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Hardness is something you can call your local water treatment plant about. A 50 L tank is about 13 US gallons. If you still don't have the tank, I would get a larger one instead. There is only one gourami that could fit in your tank and no angelfish could. A 29 gal (109 L) is a good size beginner tank because it is small enough to be easily managed and moved yet still large enough to have more than 2 species of fish.

Olympia is right. Growing a fish properly in a cramped space is very difficult and often results in death or stunting (most pet retailers don't want a stunted fish because they are unhealthy). So just stick to fish that can live in your tank long-term.

justfishingabout 05-02-2012 04:10 PM

Ok. Thanks.

At this stage this is the size tank we will have so what is the 1 type of gourami that would be ok in a 50 litre?

What other bright coloured or interesting fish would you recommend for a 50litre capacity tank?

I do want to make sure I fit the fish to the tank so will only purchase fish that will be appropriate for this size tank.

What are Krebensis like? Are they good community fish and small enough for this size tank?

thekoimaiden 05-02-2012 04:46 PM

The only gourami that can fit in your tank are the honey gourami or Betta splendens. With the B. splendens you could have another school of fish like pristella tetra or bronze cory in the tank. The honey gourami would limit you to substrate fish like bronze cory and oto catfish. (You can click on the shaded name of a fish to see its profile including temperature, pH, and importantly pictures :-D).

Generally with gourami you want to avoid other brightly-colored fish as they may accidentally incite the gourami. Gourami are territorial with each other and do mistake other brightly colored fish for another gourami. With either of those two fish you are looking at only one other species in that tank.

To learn about kribensis I suggest you read the profile for them (by clicking on the shaded name) as it has been complied by some very intelligent people who know much more about them than I. I'm a tetra, gourami, loach, and carp girl.