Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Hitchhiker snail! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/hitchhiker-snail-100248/)

BobtheSnail 05-01-2012 05:42 PM

Hitchhiker snail!

This is definitely the last time I buy plants from Petsmart...

So, I have a hitchhiker snail from some plants I bought last week. He's a bit smaller than 1/4 of a pea! <3

Anyway, I think he might be an Malaysian Trumpet Snail (not sure since he's so darn small!). I'd like to keep him alive, especially if he's an MTS because I just think they look super cool.

My question is... how long should I keep him in quarantine (I spotted him in one of the buckets I used to rinse the plants off in, so he hasn't been in the tank yet) before I put him in the tank? Should I even think about putting him in the tank at all? Also, Bob (the mystery/apple snail...) is about 3/4-1 inch now- will he bother the baby snail if I keep them together?

BTW... I also found all these freaky things swimming around in my bucket. They look like little tiny bugs, and they were literally swimming through the water. When I say tiny, I mean TINY. They were so small I can't even begin to describe how small they were. There were at least a dozen. Does anyone know what they are?

Tazman 05-01-2012 09:54 PM

Generally most snails do not carry disease that is transferable to fish and with nothing but a snail in the QT tank then it is going to be impossible to see if it has caused any disease.

The "small things" you described are more than likely Copepods, completely harmless and actually some fish will eat them.

The snail can be added to the aquarium if you want, they are asexual breeders, meaning they do NOT need another snail to breed, they can do it themselves as they have both male and female sex organs. They can be beneficial as they perform cleanup duties on your tank during the night (most snails come out at night).

They can though once established be a very major pain to get rid of if you decide you do not want them.

It is all down to you, if you want them or not.

BobtheSnail 05-03-2012 08:53 AM

So, if it does reproduce, they'll die as long as they don't have enough food, right?

Misomie 05-04-2012 12:39 AM

Yeah, or they'll turn to alternate sources of food such as plants (I think). I want to add MTS to my three tanks to help clean up (I enjoy the fact that you don't see them during the day. XD)

Tikibirds 05-05-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Generally most snails do not carry disease that is transferable to fish
would this be true for wild caught snails? I have some in a QT but all they seem to be doing is poping out live babies. i think they are vivipari-something snails.
I read they are filter feeders and think they would be better off in my tank with a current then in stagnant water