Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   what to do for snail with float issues? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/what-do-snail-float-issues-10021/)

Sadie 12-14-2007 09:03 PM

what to do for snail with float issues?

Just need a bit of advice. I came home this evening and found that one of my Mystery Snails got himself in a fix today. He had managed to get under the plastic needlepoint canvas I have across the back of the tank covering the openings and popped up the cover to the water filter and got himself stuck. He was still wet when I found him as some of the return water was hitting him and I had to remove him from his spot by pulling him up and out. I have no Idea how long he was out of the tank.

I don't believe I injured him. I put him back into the tank but he can't submerge and doesn't pull back into his shell even when touched. I think he is dying and has been swirling around in the current about 2 hours now. He is sticking out of his shell and has only retracted about a quarter of an inch. I touched the end of his feelers and he hardly responds at all. I think he has damaged his air pocket.

Is there anything I can try to do for him? If he needs to be euthanized, do you euthanize a snail the same as a fish or would it be better just to let nature take it's course?

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Sadie

Sadie 12-14-2007 10:48 PM

snail with float issues

Okaaaay, never mind for the time being.. I checked on him again and he has gotten himself under control. It has been about 4 and half hours since I first found him and he seems to be okay, I guess I just needed to stop checking on him.. Who knows maybe he was in shock. He's stuck on the side of the tank just sitting there. I 'll check him agin in the morning. Hopefully he will still be alive in the morning as I have never seen this particular snail sit still.[/code]

southafrica1001 12-14-2007 11:54 PM

well i hope he gets better :D

herefishy 12-15-2007 12:03 AM

My mystery snails, painted snails, and apple snails go "floating" quite frequently. I love it when they go "snorkeling". lol

Sadie 12-15-2007 09:51 PM

snail

I have seen them float before but was very worried since he was stuck outside of the tank for who knows how long, I had been gone all day. He has stayed on the same side of the tank I put him in on last night and doesn't go more than the width in distance. The jury is still out. I haven't seen him eat today(the algae wafer is still there) and hardly moves at all, so I guess we just let nature take its course at this point and let him decide what he is going to do. thanks for for the well wishes.

Little-Fizz 12-16-2007 05:25 PM

Re: snail

You have to be really careful when you 'pull' the snail off. I don't see why he wouldn't make it, but if you think he is really suffering I believe the way to kill the snail is putting it on the ground and smashing it with a rock... A big one... But thats mean, I love my snail to much to do that :) But I really think he'll be fine. Just keep an eye open. Good luck!

Sadie 12-16-2007 07:25 PM

snail

He's doing better today. Still not getting around like norma,l but I have seen him in many different places and I think he will be okay. Thanks