Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Plant Safe Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/plant-safe-cichlids-100130/)

johntroxel71 04-30-2012 12:14 PM

Plant Safe Cichlids

I am looking at making my planted 30g tank into a cichlid tank. I know I can't do Africans in there as they are herbivores. I am then assuming the central americans are the ones I want. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

I am looking to get some very small ones and then as they grow moving them to a bigger tank.

Thanks

Inga 04-30-2012 02:02 PM

Angelfish need a planted tank. :) That said, you need plenty of space for them. A lot of people think "oh I will buy a larger tank when they need it." The realism is, that never happens in many cases and the fish are stuck in conditions that are not appropriate for them. If you already have a larger tank and intend to do that, wonderful. If you are not sure you will be able to afford it, then just get fish that will work in the tank you currently have. Just know what you CAN truly do.

Can't wait to hear what you decide on. There are so many choices.

redchigh 04-30-2012 02:26 PM

Blue rams, angelfish, discus, cockatoo are plant safe.

Philnominal 05-03-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 1064461)
Blue rams, angelfish, discus, cockatoo are plant safe.

Discus are way to big for 30 gallons and for angles you would at most be able to do a breeding pair.

As far as i know most dwarf cichlids will be fine with plants. I have my rams in planted tanks fine. Others would be cockatoo cichlids, apistos, kribs etc.

As for rams german blues are very hard to take care of, require high water temp, and very soft water. I would go with the bolivians if you went with rams they are very hardy.

magpie 05-05-2012 12:09 PM

I agree with the dwarves - most of them really love a heavily planted tank and they'd be fine in a 30-gallon long-term (and can have a lot of personality). I think you could do apistos, rams, dwarf acaras (laetacara), kribs (pelvicachromis), dicrossus, or keyholes.

What are your water parameters?

CinBos 05-09-2012 06:44 PM

This was actually a question I have been meaning to ask for sometime now. I mentioned in another thread that I had nitrite spikes, so i decided to get some plants to help keep that at 0. I have plants all throughout my tank now, and I currently have a GT and JD in there now. When and If things start getting bad for the plants, I will be removing the plants to my other smaller tank. I have been doing a lot of reading and have read that Anubias plants are the best plants for cichlids, they are hardy, strong leaves, and do not require as much lighting as most plants.

johntroxel71 05-13-2012 10:04 PM

Ph 7.6
Gh 10
Kh 10
Nitrate, nitrite, ammonia 0