Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Is this the start of "ich" HELP!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/start-ich-help-100110/)

DjBootleg 04-30-2012 02:58 AM

Is this the start of "ich" HELP!!!

I noticed some of my fish have been scraping against the decorations and what not.. But not all but like 3-4 out of 10.. I have a heater in there so IDK how it would be from a temp change, and I haven't done any water changes? I don't see any white spots though.. Please hurry with any thoughts I don't want to lose any fish lol. Thanks!

1077 04-30-2012 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjBootleg (Post 1064093)
I noticed some of my fish have been scraping against the decorations and what not.. But not all but like 3-4 out of 10.. I have a heater in there so IDK how it would be from a temp change, and I haven't done any water changes? I don't see any white spots though.. Please hurry with any thoughts I don't want to lose any fish lol. Thanks!

When in doubt,a fifty percent water change with declorinated water is pretty cheap insurance.
Could be ammonia level's or nitrite level's are affecting fish.
Keep an eye out for the small ,granular size white spot's associated with ICH and treat the whole tank after removing carbon.
If fish don't present white spot's,,then don't medicate.
Rather than play twenty question's ,, I might go to fish disease section of this forum and post answer's to the question's where it say's.. "Please read before posting"
Answer's to these question's can help identify/eliminate possible problem's related to erratic behaivor's with our fishes.

bigvince 04-30-2012 08:15 AM

mine had the same problem just rubbing against stuff and I ignored it for about a month then one morning they where both coverd in white fuzz i saved my female 4inches and lost my male 7 inches both jack dempseys

how i healed them was i did a 50 % water change then a 25% every other week i added some aqurium salt and raised temp to 82 also put in AMMO-CARBŪ Activated Carbon and Ammonia-Removing Resin
for my high amonia my female is excellent and healthy i added more fish i have a divider in a 55 gal tank and have had no problems i just do my water change and filter change by weekly and do great i add a little salt but not much

this was my experince and it worked some may aggree and some not but i tryed chemicals at first and they did nothing i did the steps i mentioned and they did great hope it helps

Tazman 04-30-2012 08:21 AM

Activated Carbon should NEVER be used when medicating a tank as it renders the medication useless because the Carbon absorbs it.

While aquarium salt does work for treating ich, special care must be taken when using it as it is not safe for all fish.

bigvince 04-30-2012 02:32 PM

it worked fine for me once i raised temp added salt and the carb stuff she got better but when i used just the medicine they got worse