Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Time to go External! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/time-go-external-100098/)

Big Fate 04-29-2012 11:51 PM

Time to go External!

So its time to finally toss the Uglyness of HOB filters and go with an external. :proud: I wanted some advice before making the transition.

I'm going to be running this on a 20 Gal rimless tank and really want the least ammount of equipment visable.. So I decided the HOB was too unattractive to the eye and wanna go External. Wanna go with some lily pipe attachments and was wondering which you guys would recomened out the two?

EHEIM Classic 2211
Link:
Fluval 105 Canister Filter
Link:

Tazman 04-29-2012 11:57 PM

Personal choice as both are good filters.

If I had to recommend one though Eheim..make sure though the flow is not going to be too much for the fish you are intending on keeping.

wannalearn 04-30-2012 12:36 AM

i have not experence with the other, but i do run a fluval, and have had no trouble with them.

Big Fate 04-30-2012 12:50 AM

yea i'm getting feed that the 2211 maybe a bit too small for a 20.
So i'm thinking maybe a 2213? The fluval looks efficient but others are saying to go Eheim.

Geomancer 04-30-2012 06:37 AM

Doesn't it say the 2211 is good for up to 40 gallons?

Whatever you do, don't over filter to the extreme... Since you are posting this in the plants section of the forums I assume you have live plants, which makes that point even more.

The plants do the nitrogen filtering, the canister would solely be for mechanical and getting floating particles out of the water. That's it.

A 20 gallon is pretty small. Have you considered a sponge filter? Might be able to hide that behind some plants. Save you a heap of money too.

Otherwise, I'd probably go with the Fluval since it is rated closer to your aquariums size. As Tazman said, you don't want the flow to be too much for your fish. Strong current = more energy to keep still = stress.

Big Fate 04-30-2012 08:09 AM

Few rains why I prefer a canister is one I hear how great they are, two they look alot more attractive than a HOB and three I wanna setup some lily pipes.

I agree that the 2211 and fluval should work I don't know why others were steering me into a higher direction. As you said the plants do alot.

Tazman 04-30-2012 08:16 AM

Make sure the Lily Pipes are the correct size for the hoses that would come with your filter.

Byron 04-30-2012 10:13 AM

The fish that will be in this tank are a factor in selecting the right filter, and this data isn't mentioned. This is significant with respect to the flow. If for instance they are forest fish in a planted tank, which being a 20g one would assume is the case, a sponge filter is more than adequate as excess water movement will stress out such fish. If on the other hand this tank is to house something requiring water movement such as a small group of Hillstream Loach, then the canister or HOB is better as these will allow a stronger current.

With respect to the "filtration" the plants as mentioned do this, so the filter is only there to move the water and mechanically filter it.

With respect to Eheim/Fluval, both will likely do the job (and I agree, don't over-filter with too large a filter) but one can't say if Fluval will stand up to Eheim in durability and reliability. Eheim has the track record proving this, Fluval and Rena do not. While they are less expensive, they may not last as long.

SinCrisis 04-30-2012 10:36 AM

Big Fate, from reading your other posts, it seems you are aiming for a aquascaping focused tank over a livestock focused tank. Is that correct? The approach to what equipment to get and how to maintain the tank is very different for each type of fishkeeping. For filters, the flow required will be very different.

A aquascaped tank needs adequate flow and direction to properly distribute the CO2 and nutrients in the water column. If I'm not mistaken the rule that a lot of people use is that the water must be turned at least 5-6 times. Then you pick fish that fit that kind of flow rate. I have seen and heard of aquascapers using up to 12x turnover (ultra high CO2 diffusion)

If you are aiming for a live-stock focused tank, you need to research what kind of flows your fish need to be healthy. If you run your tank at 7-8 times turnover, fish like tetras won't like it as much.

As for filters, both eheim and fluval are great brands. The rating on the box of the filter is not important, it is the GPH that you need look at. If you are aiming for 6x turnover, you need something that pushes water at 120gph. 10x turnover is 200gph, etc.

For an aquascaping tank, in-tank filters are often viewed as unsightly, which is why lily pipe producers can charge the amount of money they do. However, canisters + pipes also give you greater control of flow direction with minimal equipment in tanks. The purpose of a filter in aquascaping is to polish the water and ensure each plant is getting adequate nutrients. That's why many aquascaping tanks are under-stocked to avoid water quality issues.

For us to really help you, you need to let us know what your focus is for the tank and what you want out of it.

SinCrisis 04-30-2012 10:40 AM

Additionally, I want to point out, a sponge and HOB filter are not good for aquascaping tanks as they remove CO2 from the water. Canisters or internals are the only ones that work well for tanks that use CO2 injection since they do not expose the agitated water to the air.