Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   how to stock new 20 gal freshwater (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/how-stock-new-20-gal-freshwater-100095/)

marshallsea 04-29-2012 11:01 PM

how to stock new 20 gal freshwater

im new and i have a short 20 gal fresh water tank. i dont want to overstock it. i already have 3 adult platys, and i want to add 1 or 2 more. i would also like to add a school of zebra danios if theres room for a proper number of them. or should i just add more platys only? eventually i would like to add a solitary bottom feeder to keep fry to a bare minimum. i look forward to any suggestions, thanks

Tazman 04-29-2012 11:11 PM

Welcome to TFK first of all.

What are the dimensions of the tank?

marshallsea 04-29-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1063991)
Welcome to TFK first of all.

What are the dimensions of the tank?

24lx16hx12w

Tazman 04-29-2012 11:37 PM

Should be able to add extra platys and zebra danios.

Not sure what bottom feeder would suit them, another member may be able to offer help on that.

marshallsea 04-29-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1064016)
Should be able to add extra platys and zebra danios.

Not sure what bottom feeder would suit them, another member may be able to offer help on that.

thank you

Olympia 04-30-2012 05:54 AM

Pleco are good for beginners solitary bottom dweller speaking. Of course you need a small species, not those huge common plecs. I'd be looking at a bristlenose pleco, or maybe a pair of bulldog plecos. You'll have to supplement them with catfish pellets, they don't just live off algae. I'm not sure if they'd take care of the fry though. Maybe a pair of south American bumblebee catfish would be better. They're small, but I'm pretty sure there's a similar species that gets much too large, and pet stores tend to mix things up.
Do you know your pH and water hardness? Most pet shops test it for free if you bring in a water sample.

Byron 04-30-2012 11:18 AM

I would suggest that no substrate-dwelling fish will effectively control livebearer fry. The fry remain near the surface among floating plants and such, and even nocturnal predation would be minimal.

Maintaining only male platy will solve the fry problem. If you have male and female, you should have 2 or 3 females to each male to allow the male's attentions to be spread out; otherwise the females will be severely stressed. And in this situation (male/female) a group of 6 platy in a 20g is max. Plus the substrate fish. I would not add danio to this tank.

Byron.

Olympia 04-30-2012 02:24 PM

Won't platy eat their own fry? That could help somewhat.

nags 04-30-2012 02:30 PM

glass catfish love fry. they are bottom to middle swimmers until feeding time I have 3 and they are my favorite fish in my tank

jennesque 04-30-2012 06:38 PM

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure something like ghost shrimp would munch on any fry.. they're also super cheap and will clean up small amounts of left over food too.