Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Need help with torn fins on BGK (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/need-help-torn-fins-bgk-100029/)

CatSoup 04-29-2012 12:53 PM

Need help with torn fins on BGK

First off, I love these fish and will be going the distance for him as he grows, even if that means building a tank. I do appreciate the information that is shared about the requirements for them. He's in a 46 gal now, going in the 55 when it's cycled, and I'm picking up a 110 gal on Tuesday.

I just got this little guy a week ago, and I'm seeing some bad signs already. He seems to be breathing very heavily and his fins keep getting little tears in them. None of the other fish have bothered him besides a first encounter with my 2 inch juvenile blood parrot. They attacked each others faces when the ghost knife got too curious around him. There were no visible wounds and they have ignored each other since. All other fish in my tank are in great health since I removed the jeweled cichlid who had begun eating at the smaller fish, and that was before the knife and angels were put into the tank. During the day my BGK spends most of his time hiding vertically between the heater and glass.

1. Size of tank? 46 gallon bowfront

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0
b. Nitrite? 0
c. Nitrate? fluctuates between 0-5 (heavily planted)
d. pH, KH and GH? 7.6, unknown
e. Test kit?API liquid

3. Temperature? 81 F

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? fresh

5. How long the aquarium has been set up? Over a month, but not sure how many weeks

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
3-4 inch BGK (1 week), 3-4 in blood parrot (over 1 month), 1-2 in blood parrot(over 1 month), 5 nickle size koi angels (who will be kept in the bigger tank with the knife, had for 2 1/2 weeks), 1 pepper cory, 1 albino cory (1 albino and two pandas corys were killed by the jeweled, had all for a week or 2), and 5 otocats (1 month)

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? Only for a few days

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? about 15 live plants
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? small smooth rock gravel and sand
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? as of the day day before yesterday I had 3 large mopani driftwood (they have been moved to the 55 gal), there is one cave ornament , but I am putting some more in for him to hide in today

9. a. Filtration? marineland emperor
b. Heater? two set to 80 F on each side

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? only during daylight hours
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? some during the day

11. a. Water change schedule? weekly
b. Volume of water changed? 30%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? tap
d. Water conditioner used? Prime
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? never

12. Foods? flakes, freeze dried blood worms
How often are they fed? once daily

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? torn fins, breaths very rapidly
b. Appearance of poop? whitish
c. Appearance of gills? seem normal, besides the breathing

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? I have been adding melafix and pimafix to the tank
b. What meds were used? melafix, pimafix

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary. can't find my dumb camera

CatSoup 04-29-2012 04:15 PM

Anyone? :(

Olympia 04-29-2012 04:33 PM

Hmmm, I'll do my best. I love these guys and want one, I'll never have room though. :D
First, I'd head over to a fish shop and pick up one of those clear pipes that are used for fish like ghost knifes. It'll give him tons of security but you'll still be able to see him. It's not too healthy for him to be stressing out since he has no where to hide, this could be lowering his immunity.
BGK is a scaleless fish, this means they react differently to medications than other fish do.
I'm guessing his heavy breathing is caused by the melafix and pimafix. I posted a thread about this a while ago.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/t...ebrates-99508/

I would do a large (60-70%) water change to remove most of the mela/pimafix. This medicine should only be half-a quarter dosed for any scaleless fish. Hopefully he hasn't received too much damage as of yet.
After that, I'd lay off the meds until his breathing returns to normal.
If his poop is white, it sounds like he has internal parasites. Still, I'd leave him without meds for about 4-5 days to give his system a rest. Then I'd dose 1/2 teaspoon aq. salt per gallon. The aq salt should help restore some of his health.
Hope that was somewhat helpful at least. ^-^

CatSoup 04-29-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1063531)
Hmmm, I'll do my best. I love these guys and want one, I'll never have room though. :D
First, I'd head over to a fish shop and pick up one of those clear pipes that are used for fish like ghost knifes. It'll give him tons of security but you'll still be able to see him. It's not too healthy for him to be stressing out since he has no where to hide, this could be lowering his immunity.
BGK is a scaleless fish, this means they react differently to medications than other fish do.
I'm guessing his heavy breathing is caused by the melafix and pimafix. I posted a thread about this a while ago.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/t...ebrates-99508/

I would do a large (60-70%) water change to remove most of the mela/pimafix. This medicine should only be half-a quarter dosed for any scaleless fish. Hopefully he hasn't received too much damage as of yet.
After that, I'd lay off the meds until his breathing returns to normal.
If his poop is white, it sounds like he has internal parasites. Still, I'd leave him without meds for about 4-5 days to give his system a rest. Then I'd dose 1/2 teaspoon aq. salt per gallon. The aq salt should help restore some of his health.
Hope that was somewhat helpful at least. ^-^

Yes it was. Thank you! I did a 30% water change earlier, so I will do a 50% change tomorrow. Until then I have the bubble wand on full blast, so hopefully that helps circulate some oxygen.

Olympia 04-29-2012 08:03 PM

Alright, well keep us updated as to his progress. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

CatSoup 04-30-2012 10:54 AM

Well, I give up on keeping this kind of fish. As much as I love them, this was my second to die on me. :(

Olympia 04-30-2012 02:33 PM

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear. :(
I'm sure it's not entirely your fault, these seem like sensitive fish, and they don't get treated properly in stores.

CatSoup 04-30-2012 08:48 PM

Thank you. That does make me feel better. Still, I better put in a couple more fish keeping years before I try my luck with another. :)

CatSoup 05-01-2012 11:29 AM

One more thing;
When I picked him up out of the tank his slime coat was gone. Could this have been from the meds?