I've built a small pool in my backyard, about 8 ft diameter with a water depth approximately 1 to 1 1/2 ft. It's lined with PE film and the bottom is covered with sand, pea gravel and some river rock. In the center is a fountain (pee boy) that runs continuously. The water is from the city source and after I filled it I let it recirculate for about four days until it was completely clear and then tossed in a few goldfish to see how they would do. Lost one the first day (I don't think it had anything to do with the water) and one after four days. The others appear pretty healthy. There is a small brick construction to offer a hiding/shade place in the back. I need to replace the liner and plan on doing that in a couple of weeks but first I wanted to get some advice on how best to re-set it up.
So here's some questions:
1. Will I need to add a filter?
2. Do I need to control the PH? I installed a float valve which allows additional water to replace that lost to evaporation.
3. What about plants? Necessary? If so what types and how many ?
4. What about nutrients? Do the fish need anything more than just being fed twice a day?
5. Will I need more than just the fountain to aerate the water?
6. What about water temp? I plan to add a thermostat controlled in-line water heater in the fall and cover the pool to keep it from freezing in the winter.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.